Perfect start for Tigers Development squad
ELY’S Development squad made it two wins out of two games with a resounding victory over Newmarket on Saturday.
Ely Development 22
The home side settled into the match early on and, after a break into the opposition 22, were awarded a penalty for a late tackle on centre Dave Kemble.
Unfortunately for the Tigers however, captain Nev Mavnish narrowly missed the kick.
Not to be put off, the Ely forwards continued to press and soon forced the opening try as, after the ball was passed quickly across the back line, Tim Mills finished off an excellent move.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 10 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
The industrious forwards continued to dominate Newmarket and were awarded a penalty on the visitors’ 22 which resulted in Tom Jackson at flyhalf passing back inside for flanker Denning to run home and score.
On one of the rare occasions that Ely found themselves in their own 22, Jackson broke free and ran 60 yards before offloading to Kemble to score, with the score converted by Macnish.
Ely made sweeping changes at half-time and a more evenly contested second half resulted in just one further try scored by flanker Robin Guy after Richard Nelson played him in.