Perfect start for Tigers Development squad
ELY’S Development squad made it two wins out of two games with a resounding victory over Newmarket on Saturday.
Ely Development 22
The home side settled into the match early on and, after a break into the opposition 22, were awarded a penalty for a late tackle on centre Dave Kemble.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately for the Tigers however, captain Nev Mavnish narrowly missed the kick.
Not to be put off, the Ely forwards continued to press and soon forced the opening try as, after the ball was passed quickly across the back line, Tim Mills finished off an excellent move.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
The industrious forwards continued to dominate Newmarket and were awarded a penalty on the visitors’ 22 which resulted in Tom Jackson at flyhalf passing back inside for flanker Denning to run home and score.
On one of the rare occasions that Ely found themselves in their own 22, Jackson broke free and ran 60 yards before offloading to Kemble to score, with the score converted by Macnish.
Ely made sweeping changes at half-time and a more evenly contested second half resulted in just one further try scored by flanker Robin Guy after Richard Nelson played him in.