Parkinson stunner earns point for Robins
Late free-kick secures draw for Ely
A GOAL two minutes from time earned Ely City a much needed point at struggling Walsham-le-Willows on Saturday.
Left back Sam Parkinson rescued a point for Alan Alsop’s side with a sublime free-kick after the Robins had fallen behind late in the first half.
The point kept City in 17th place in the Ridgeons Premier League ahead of their clash with newcomers Hadleigh United at the Unwin Ground on Saturday.
The visitors fell behind in the 40th minute after Walsham’s Gavin Johnson blasted home a free-kick from the edge of the area.
You may also want to watch:
The Robins pressed hard to get back into the match in the second half, and laid siege to the home goal in a desperate last 10 minute spell.
Ely’s reward finally came with less than two minutes on the clock as Parkinson curled home after defender Adam Murray had been felled a few yards outside the box.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 3 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 4 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 5 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 6 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 7 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 8 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation