Parkinson stunner earns point for Robins
Late free-kick secures draw for Ely
A GOAL two minutes from time earned Ely City a much needed point at struggling Walsham-le-Willows on Saturday.
Left back Sam Parkinson rescued a point for Alan Alsop’s side with a sublime free-kick after the Robins had fallen behind late in the first half.
The point kept City in 17th place in the Ridgeons Premier League ahead of their clash with newcomers Hadleigh United at the Unwin Ground on Saturday.
The visitors fell behind in the 40th minute after Walsham’s Gavin Johnson blasted home a free-kick from the edge of the area.
The Robins pressed hard to get back into the match in the second half, and laid siege to the home goal in a desperate last 10 minute spell.
Ely’s reward finally came with less than two minutes on the clock as Parkinson curled home after defender Adam Murray had been felled a few yards outside the box.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 4 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 5 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 8 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 9 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 10 Mara is Ely Standard Pet of the Year - voted for by you