Parkinson fires Ely to Diss double
A LUKE Parkinson double handed Ely City their second win over Diss Town in just two weeks.
The Robins eased to a 4-0 win over Town in the FA Cup on August 20 and reasserted their dominance over their Suffolk-based rivals with another commanding victory on Tuesday night.
The win, Ely’s third in five games this season, moves them up to seventh place in the Ridgeons Premier League ahead of a crunch FA Cup clash with Walsham le Willows at the Unwin Ground on Saturday.
Parkinson opened the scoring for Ely after 20 minutes on Tuesday as he coolly slotted home a penalty, awarded after a Diss defender was adjudged to have handled in the box.
There were chances aplenty for Alan Alsop’s men in the ensuing minutes and they managed to double their tally a few minutes short of half-time as Parkinson popped up in the area to pounce on a half-cleared ball.
You may also want to watch:
The Robins continued to dictate the play in the second half but were content to play keep-ball as the visitors toiled for a way back into the game.
Robins’ chairman Bob Button said: “It was a very good win, hopefully we can carry our good form into the FA Cup on Saturday. We are looking for as much support as possible so we are urging everyone in the area to come down.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor