Parfitt grabs Ely’s final glory in late semi drama
A LAST-minute Harry Parfitt save at the end of a dramatic comeback secured Ely under-11s passage to the National Cup Final. Things were looking ominous when Ely trailed 3-1 in their semi-final contest against Bury at Peterborough at the weekend. Hattie F
A LAST-minute Harry Parfitt save at the end of a dramatic comeback secured Ely under-11s passage to the National Cup Final.
Things were looking ominous when Ely trailed 3-1 in their semi-final contest against Bury at Peterborough at the weekend. Hattie Ford was Ely's solitary scorer at this point, and Rees Parfitt and Aiden Cooper had both hit the post.
Ely hit back in the second half with some strong team-play but, after Ford's second goal, Bury quickly re-established their two-goal cushion.
With five minutes remaining, Ely called a time-out and the team changed shape to go on the offensive.
Cooper scored straight from the re-start to make it 4-3 and then Ford equalised with two minutes left.
Parfitt then made a very good save to keep Bury at bay and from the resulting counter-attack, a slick passing move finished with Ford putting Ely 5-4 up.
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 4 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 7 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 8 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
- 10 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
Parfitt again kept Bury out at the death to send Ely to the national finals in July where they will play Herne Bay.
Ely's two under-13 teams lost their matches. The Greens were defeated by first division team King's Lynn 7-1, with their only goal coming from James Cox, and the Blues lost out to Bury 6-4, with all their goals coming from Sam Norton.