Parfitt grabs Ely’s final glory in late semi drama
A LAST-minute Harry Parfitt save at the end of a dramatic comeback secured Ely under-11s passage to the National Cup Final. Things were looking ominous when Ely trailed 3-1 in their semi-final contest against Bury at Peterborough at the weekend. Hattie F
A LAST-minute Harry Parfitt save at the end of a dramatic comeback secured Ely under-11s passage to the National Cup Final.
Things were looking ominous when Ely trailed 3-1 in their semi-final contest against Bury at Peterborough at the weekend. Hattie Ford was Ely's solitary scorer at this point, and Rees Parfitt and Aiden Cooper had both hit the post.
Ely hit back in the second half with some strong team-play but, after Ford's second goal, Bury quickly re-established their two-goal cushion.
With five minutes remaining, Ely called a time-out and the team changed shape to go on the offensive.
You may also want to watch:
Cooper scored straight from the re-start to make it 4-3 and then Ford equalised with two minutes left.
Parfitt then made a very good save to keep Bury at bay and from the resulting counter-attack, a slick passing move finished with Ford putting Ely 5-4 up.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Parfitt again kept Bury out at the death to send Ely to the national finals in July where they will play Herne Bay.
Ely's two under-13 teams lost their matches. The Greens were defeated by first division team King's Lynn 7-1, with their only goal coming from James Cox, and the Blues lost out to Bury 6-4, with all their goals coming from Sam Norton.