On-fire United proving they’re summit special

DIVISION 2B Sutton United moved top of the table for the first time this season after beating a lively young Over Sports Reserves side 3-1. A visiting defender nodded Johnny Few s free-kick into his own goal to hand Sutton a 1-0 interval lead, and they to


Sutton United moved top of the table for the first time this season after beating a lively young Over Sports Reserves side 3-1.

A visiting defender nodded Johnny Few's free-kick into his own goal to hand Sutton a 1-0 interval lead, and they took control of the match in the second period with goals from Russell Mansfield and Matthew Keys.

Over deservedly pulled one back near the finish.

Stretham Hotspurs moved further clear of the relegation zone after recording a third successive victory, this time at the expense of Needingworth United Reserves.

Stretham failed to make a breakthrough during a goalless opening 45 minutes, but when Michael Beeby injured his thigh and temporarily left his side a man short, Leigh Iball scrambled in the opener.

Most Read

Captain John Lewis then nodded home to make it 2-0, and central midfielder Lee Taylor restored Stretham's two-goal lead after the visitors had pulled one back.

Needingworth replied again with 10 minutes remaining, but Iball made the points safe with a cracking left-foot drive and Stretham eventually ran out 4-3 winners.

The Vine also recorded a good win at the expense of local rivals Witchford '96.

Jon Cutter's opener was cancelled out by Richard Martin, and an own goal put The Vine 2-1 up at the break.

With Sam Morgan and Craig Finbow producing solid performances for the home side, Witchford looked in trouble.

Jon Cutter's glancing header from a Jez Cutter cross increased The Vine's lead, and Mark Higginbottom made it 4-1 before Ross Spencer's superb 30-yarder provided the visitors with a consolation goal near the finish.


Littleport Town produced one of their better displays to take all three points at the expense of hosts Needingworth United.

Mark Brown was back in goal for the visitors, and Ben Layn made his first appearance of the season as 'Port fielded a much stronger side than in recent weeks.

Nigel Smith scored the only goal of the first half after Will Ludbrooke burst clear and unselfishly squared the ball across, but 'Port had two 'goals' disallowed and also hit the woodwork twice as they ran Needingworth ragged.

Ludbrooke made it 2-0 after a brilliant 55th-minute move which resulted in Kevin Hills whipping a cross to the far post for the striker to nod home, but the hosts pulled one back following a set-piece.

'Port were not to be denied and with five minutes remaining Ludbrooke outpaced the home defence to make the final score 3-1.

Alan White was 'Port's man of the match, but the contributions made by Jack Jordan, Hills and Ludbrooke were also crucial.

Ely City Reserves had been in midweek action against Cottenham United, but a scrappy affair ended all-square.

Cottenham went ahead in the second half, and substitute Andrew Lee earned a 1-1 draw for the hosts.


Littleport Town Reserves look increasingly likely to make an immediate return to 1B football after losing again.

Jordan Lenham was on target from the penalty spot against Castle Camps, but the visitors ran out 5-1 winners.

Haddenham Rovers moved out of the bottom four after a 2-2 draw at home to Willingham, but would have hoped for better against their bottom-of-the-table opponents.


Tom Hoppitt hit four goals as Ely City A came from a goal down to beat Barton Mills Reserves.

Hoppitt broke the ice in City's favour, but his side were awful in the first half and trailed 2-1.

Hoppitt's second-half hat-trick turned the tide and goals from Stuart Seekings and Matt Brodie (penalty) secured a 7-2 victory.


Fordham Reserves drew 1-1 with Brampton Reserves thanks to a goal from Spike Murkin, but Little Downham Swifts continued their rise up the table by beating Haddenham Rovers Reserves 6-1.

Gareth Draper led the way with a second half hat-trick, and Lee Fuller completed the rout with five minutes remaining.


Wicken Amateurs moved into second spot with another three points after West Row Gunners Reserves were unable to raise a side for Saturday's fixture.

Ironically, the pitch would have been unplayable anyway!

Justin Challis, meanwhile, earned The Vine Reserves a 1-1 draw in their match at Outwell Swifts Reserves.


Little Downham Swifts Reserves followed up last week's victory against the leaders with an emphatic win against bottom club Dataracks Elite.

Nicky Martin took on three players before burying a 20-yard shot in the net for Downham's first, and Ben Amory made it 2-0 from Paul Bone's flick-on.

An own goal increased the interval lead to three, and Bone added number four with a great header after good link-up play between Tom Lewis and subsitute Rob Golding.

Steve Martin then nodded down for Bone to score again, but the home side grabbed two goals in the closing stages to make it 5-2.


Mepal Sports secured a home clash with Great Shelford A after beating Supercue 3-1 in extra-time, and Burwell Swifts will entertain Dullingham in the next round after beating Coates Athletic Reserves 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out.

Goals from Jake Drake and Carl Saxby meant that the tie finished 2-2 after extra-time.


Wilburton Albion completed a quickfire Division 3A double over Prince of Wales Newmarket.

Wilburton had a player sent off and found themselves a goal down, but Ed Ideson and Dan Page struck to put the visitors in front.

The hosts got back on terms, but Ideson's second-half hat-trick helped Albion to a 6-2 victory.

In Division 4A, there was a 3-1 win for second-placed Wicken Maids Head at Little Downham United, whilst in Division 2A, Village Inn lost 2-1 at home to leaders Grove.

In the Shelford Energy Cup there was a 5-2 defeat for Fox Burwell at Sawston Wanderers at the Quarter Final stage, but in the Tucker Gardner Partnership League Cup a place in the semi-finals was earned by Ely Pymoor Rangers at Royston & Diamonds.