NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Quick-fire Brentwood Town double sends Soham Town Rangers to second straight defeat

Lewis Endacott scored but was later sent off in Soham Town Rangers' 3-2 defeat to Brentwood Town las

Lewis Endacott scored but was later sent off in Soham Town Rangers' 3-2 defeat to Brentwood Town last night. Photo: Andy Burford - Credit: Archant

Assistant manager Erkay Okay has urged his players to take responsibility after Soham Town Rangers surrendered a 2-1 lead to lose to Brentwood Town at Julius Martin Lane last night.

The Greens took a one-goal lead into the break thanks to strikes from Lewis Endacott – who was later sent off - and Jon Kaye but slipped to their second straight defeat after Brentwood’s Harry Gibbs and Josh Wiggins struck twice in two second-half minutes.

“It’s another disappointing result considering we put a great first half performance in,” said Okay.

“We asked the boys to continue that way but we came out in the second half and give them two goals straight after half time.

“We’ve done that too many times this season and the players have to take some responsibility now as it has happened too many times.

“They need to have a bit of moral courage to make sure we don’t concede in the manner we do. We need to manage these games better when we’re in the lead or playing well. We did enough to get back in the game as well but it’s always difficult chasing games.”

Soham also experienced defeat on Saturday, with AFC Hornchurch returning from East Cambridgeshire with the points after a 2-1 win.

Most Read

“We put in a lot of effort and I thought we competed well against an experienced Hornchurch side but we conceded some poor goals and they managed to see the game out well.

“We have a very important few weeks ahead of us now.”

Those important weeks begin on Saturday with the visit of Waltham Abbey, who sit in 11th in the Bostik North Division standings.

Fierce rivals Mildenhall Town then make the short trip to Julius Martin Lane the following Tuesday (7.45pm) before the Greens go to seventh-placed Hertford Town on November 11.

Soham’s reserve side has welcomed a new boss.

Chris Gibson, who was told he would never play football again after suffering a horrific double leg break last year, has taken over the Greens’ second-string after the departure of Roy Harrison, who has joined Thurlow Nunn Division One side Downham Town.

Gibson inherits a Soham side sat in 10th in the Kershaw Senior A Division. His first game in charge will be a home clash against Cottenham United on Saturday (3pm).