NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Mulready and Brown strike to lift Soham Town Rangers out of the relegation zone
- Credit: Archant
League wins have proved to be like buses for Soham Town Rangers boss Robbie Mason.
The player-manager waited 16 weeks for his first three points, which duly arrived last week courtesy of a 2-1 win over Thurrock last weekend, and only had to wait for seven more days to seal a second victory.
His in-form Greens grabbed arguably their finest triumph this season on Saturday by beating promotion-chasing Bowers & Pitsea 2-0 at Julius Martin Lane.
Sam Mulready continued his purple patch in front of goal with another strike on half-time and Luke Brown marked his first appearance since his return from the USA with a neat strike after 64 minutes to lift the Greens out of the Ryman Division One North relegation zone for the first time in a fortnight.
A frenetic first half was brought to a close by Mulready, who pounced after Bowers goalkeeper Rhys Madden spilled Ryan Horne’s in-swinging free-kick.
And Brown capped a fine afternoon for Soham with a second goal just minutes after the hour with a fine low drive.
Soham were denied a third soon after when Madden saved from Mulready, and the former King’s Lynn Town star was stopped from finding the net again as Soham sealed their second win over a promotion hopeful in as many weeks - a win that sets them up perfectly for their basement battle with Brentwood Town this Saturday.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 10 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
The Essex outfit currently sit one place and two points above Soham in the standings, meaning the clubs will swap places if the Greens can grab their first points on the road since early December.