NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Late AFC Hornchurch double send Soham Town Rangers to opening day defeat
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Soham Town Rangers will be hoping that the only way is up after their Bostik League North Division opener.
Robbie Mason’s men were sent to a 3-0 defeat at AFC Hornchurch on Saturday courtesy of goals from Brad Warner, Josh Purcell and Ross Wall.
Hornchurch, who finished last season in the play-off places, dominated large spells of the first half and took the lead after only six minutes when Warner looped a shot over debutant Josh Pope in the Soham goal.
Minutes later, Soham had a penalty appeal waved away, before Hornchurch stiker Leon McKenzie saw a couple of goal-bound efforts miss the target.
The hosts continued to attack, with Pope coming off his line to deny the advancing Theo Fairweather-Johnson, whilst McKenzie fired across goal and headed over later in the half.
You may also want to watch:
Soham’s only real effort of the opening period came just before the interval when Dan Hobbs saw his shot parried by Hornchurch stopper Sam Mott.
The Greens improved after the break, with Lewis Endacott and Lewis Clayton heading over in the early stages, before Joe Carden struck the inside of the post.
- 1 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
Matty Allan came close to a debut goal but saw his low effort tipped around the post by Mott, before George Purcell doubled the hosts’ lead with a well-placed free-kick on 73 minutes.
The home side increased the pressure late on and notched a third with six minutes remaining when Purcell turned provider with a free-kick which substitute Ross Wall turned in.
Soham have the perfect opportunity to bounce back tomorrow evening, when they entertain Norwich United (7.45pm).
The city side began their league campaign with a 2-0 defeat to Haringey Borough.