NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Five players leave, but seven sign on the dotted line at Soham Town Rangers
- Credit: Archant
It has been a summer of ins and outs so far at Soham Town Rangers.
The Greens have retained the services of seven first-team players – but five stars who helped the club survive the drop last season have left Julius Martin Lane in recent weeks.
Ashley Bankole, Will Gardner, Dan Hobbs, Peter Maina and Callum Russell have all re-signed for the upcoming season, as well as Joe Carden and Marcus Hall, who both finished their campaigns at Histon.
But star striker Sam Mulready, who left the sign for Corby Town last month, has been joined on the departures list by Luke Brown, Adi Cambridge, Niall Conroy and Joe Tennent.
Former St Neots Town striker Brown joined the Greens back in December but has since returned to the USA to complete his studies, while Cambridge, who moved across the Fens from Ely City in February, has returned to former club Royston Town to take up a coaching role.
Conroy, meanwhile, has also made a return to a former club, signing for neighbours Newmarket Town.
The former Histon goalkeeper quickly became a fan favourite after arriving in East Cambridgeshire in January, and was appointed captain for the second half of the season.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 4 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 5 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 6 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 9 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 10 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
He took to Twitter following his move last week, saying: “Very sad to be leaving Soham Town Rangers – a club that I loved being captain of.
“I want to thank Robbie and everyone else that welcomed me.”
Tennent, however, has made a sideways move, signing for Bostik League Division One North Division rivals VCD Athletic.
The defender made 34 appearances in a Greens shirt, scoring twice, but made the decision to move closer to home last week.
He said: “Thanks to everyone at Soham Town Rangers – the staff, fans and players – for making my time there so enjoyable.
“Unfortunately, distance was a massive factor in my decision. Thanks for Rob Mason and Lloyd Groves, all the best.”
Soham kick off their set of pre-season friendlies next Tuesday (11) with a trip to UCL Premier Division side Yaxley (7.45pm), before hitting the road again for a visit to St Ives Town the following Friday (14, 7.45pm).