NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Defender Lloyd Groves leaves Soham Town Rangers
- Credit: Archant
Soham Town Rangers captain Lloyd Groves has left the club.
Groves was a mainstay in the side that narrowly avoided relegation from the Isthmian Division One North last season, scoring the winning goal in the Greens’ 4-3 final day success over Maldon & Tiptree which saw them dodge the drop.
But, only three months after that vital strike, Groves, who also spent last season as assistant manager, has decided to take a step down the non-league football pyramid and sign for Thurlow Nunn Premier Division outfit, Newmarket Town.
He took to Twitter last weekend (July 15) to announce his departure.
He said: “I am sad to say that I have decided to leave Soham, a club very close to my heart after everything we achieved last year.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to thank Robbie Mason (Soham manager) for the opportunities he gave me last year. I wish him and the boys all the very best for the season ahead.”
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on