New duo take charge of Soham Reserves
SOHAM Town Rangers announced this week that former first team stars Peter Hinde and Steve Bugg have agreed to take over as joint managers of the reserve team from the start of the 2010/11 season, following the departure of Paul Overton.
Hinde, a former club captain, left the Greens at the end of the 2008 campaign having played nearly 300 games during a 10-year spell at the Lane, and was part of the Ridgeons League title winning squad.
Bugg spent four years at Soham, scoring 131 goals in 200 appearances, prior to spells at Bury Town and Newmarket Town.
The Reserves, who play in the Kershaw Senior A League, are in the process of looking for new players ahead of the coming season, which begins on August 17. Anyone interested has been invited to attend pre-season training at Ely Kings Field on Tuesday July 6 at 6.45pm. For more details, please contact either Peter (07770 886156) or Steve (07789 001517).
Elsehwere, Soham boss Ian Benjamin announced he had swooped to re-sign mid-fielder Shawn Richards.
Richards, 19, spent last season at Southern League Premier side Rugby Town after leaving Soham in July 2008 but has become Ian Benjamin’s first signing of the summer after agreeing a return to Julius Martin Lane.
A former trainee with Northampton Town, Richards notched five goals in 14 games for the Greens before opting to move to the Warwickshire side.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 5 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 6 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 9 Drink-driver 'almost hit police car' in crash
- 10 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
Soham front man Dubi Ogbonna, meanwhile, has been linked with a possible move to Scottish giants Celtic after he was spotted at a special trial session in Manchester. Ogbonna, 18, is attracting interest from the Bhoys following a trial at Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium. The former Histon youth star scored 20 goals for Soham in his first full season in the Zameretto League Division One Midlands last year . The youngster has also attracted interest from Celtic’s Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League rivals Aberdeen.