New Cycle Season Under Way
WITH the racing season now well underway, Ely & District Cycling Clubs Tuesday evening events have resumed, welcoming new and old bike fans back to the road. With the first event on April 6 opening to an enthusiastic turn out of 26 competitors, the popul
WITH the racing season now well underway, Ely & District Cycling Clubs' Tuesday evening events have resumed, welcoming new and old bike fans back to the road. With the first event on April 6 opening to an enthusiastic turn out of 26 competitors, the popular two lap circuit of Witcham & Mepal turned up a new face to the leaderboard in the shape of Oliver Bradley who upset the applecart with a superb ride of 18:17 to oust perennial favourite Lee Desborough.
Desborough still performed superbly with 18:23 ahead of Ely rider Steve Lightfoot who clocked 18:58 over the fast eight mile course.
In the season's second event however, the tables were turned and this time Desborough came out on top, pipping new rival Bradley as they stormed the 10 mile Witchford-Mepal course. Desborough's gutsy 23:23 showed just how hard conditions were as brisk North-Easterlies blasted the field of 20. Bradley's 23:40 was enough to out pedal Steve Lightfoot (24:21) and veteran cycling legend Alan Newark (24:43) with Ely club's very own Geoff Brewster showed promising form with 25:54.
While the weather was really hurting the legs, it wasn't enough to stop the endurance of the other riders, all of whom showed dedication and spirit. Keiran Brady's fine effort of 27:24 looked promising so early on in the season while Andy Darley (28:58) and Sam Brown (30:09) also showed they are on track for a good season ahead. Young Ben Stephen rode with utter determination for a very well deserved 33:40 while first lady Celia Whitechurch, rounded off the evening with 34:58.
You may also want to watch:
The next event for the club will be April 27 for a repeat of the 10 mile Witchford-Sutton course. Riders should meet at 6.30pm at the Witchford Pavillion, Bedwell Hey Lane. All riders are very welcome to come along and enjoy the evening, just bring a bike, helmet, and a rear light.
INFO: www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox 07946631805.
- 1 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 2 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed