Tigers unveil fresh leadership ahead of new campaign
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers have announced their new captains ahead of the new campaign.
Matt McCarthy was unveiled as first-team skipper at the club's AGM on Wednesday, with Jon Hunt taking control of the Development XV.
McCarthy has been with Tigers for nearly 10 years and was part of the side that narrowly missed out on promotion from the London 3 Eastern Counties League last term, but he will be inspired by following the same path as his father.
He said: "I am honoured to be given the responsibility of first-team captain for the upcoming season and I hope that I will be able to help guide the team to promotion to London 2 North East.
"I've played under some great coaches and captains having learnt a lot from all of them.
You may also want to watch:
"I have plenty of experience closer to home that I can learn from as my father was also captain of Ely, so to have both generations on the Captains Board is something that I will be immensely proud of."
Club chairman Chris Day added: "I've had the pleasure of playing alongside both these guys over the years and feel very confident that we have the right people for the respective positions."
- 1 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Chocoholic launches Slimming World group after losing two stone
- 8 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 9 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 10 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis