Tigers unveil fresh leadership ahead of new campaign
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers have announced their new captains ahead of the new campaign.
Matt McCarthy was unveiled as first-team skipper at the club's AGM on Wednesday, with Jon Hunt taking control of the Development XV.
McCarthy has been with Tigers for nearly 10 years and was part of the side that narrowly missed out on promotion from the London 3 Eastern Counties League last term, but he will be inspired by following the same path as his father.
He said: "I am honoured to be given the responsibility of first-team captain for the upcoming season and I hope that I will be able to help guide the team to promotion to London 2 North East.
"I've played under some great coaches and captains having learnt a lot from all of them.
"I have plenty of experience closer to home that I can learn from as my father was also captain of Ely, so to have both generations on the Captains Board is something that I will be immensely proud of."
Club chairman Chris Day added: "I've had the pleasure of playing alongside both these guys over the years and feel very confident that we have the right people for the respective positions."
- 1 Petition launched to save village pub
- 2 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 3 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 4 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told