Netballers defy odds to secure play-off spot
ELY overcame overwhelming odds to secure a spot in the Division 4 play-offs in their last game of the season.
Needing a win against a Storm side that hadn’t suffered defeat in two years, Ely were at their imperious best and secured a narrow 33-32 win to secure their spot.
From the outset, the pressure was on Ely to take the initiative, but Captain Anita Reidy remained positive and encouraged the team.
The match started well, with both team’s equally matched. The second quarter saw Ely take a steady lead, with shooters Rachel Starling and Anita Reidy concentrating hard to make every goal count.
Centre players, Jo Hayward, Charlotte Butcher and Karen Carter ensured the match maintained a steady pace, whilst defenders Louise McLean and Jo Elkington worked hard at keeping the Storm shooters at bay. The last quarter saw keeper Jo Elkington suffer an injury to be replaced by Abbie Holgate.
You may also want to watch:
In the final few minutes, Storm started to catch up but Ely held out to record a crucial win.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'