Netball: Ely on course for promotion
Cambridge and District Netball League Division One Ely 40 Comberton III 17 SECOND-PLACED Ely kept up their promotion challenge with a fine win in a fast-paced match. Ely have experimented with positions in the last two matches but switched to a more orth
Cambridge and District Netball League Division One
Ely 40 Comberton III 17
SECOND-PLACED Ely kept up their promotion challenge with a fine win in a fast-paced match.
Ely have experimented with positions in the last two matches but switched to a more orthodox line-up on Sunday.
Forwards Jenny Calvert Katie Child battled against strong winds to put Ely ahead in the first two quarters, while some brilliant defensive interceptions in the centre court by George Barnes and Cassie Start ensured Comberton's chances were limited. Comberton suffered a second injury on the stroke of half-time and had to go into the second half with only six players. Ely took full advantage, bringing on Amy Beck at goal attack to further their lead by 14 goals at the end of the third quarter.
Olivia Petherick made a welcome return to the side after a break to have her first child and was bought on as goal keeper for the last quarter, where her close marking ensured Ely retained a good defensive record.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
Calvert and Beck swapped shooting positions and their accuracy helped to secure the 23-goal win.
Ely face sixth-place Jets on Saturday, March 31.