Netball: Ely just miss out in derby
Cambridge and District Netball League Div One Ely 31 Stretham 33 ELY remain second despite this narrow defeat to third-placed Stretham at the weekend. Ely s usual centre, Donna Liddington, moved to goal defence for the first time, and her energy contribut
Cambridge and District Netball League Div One
Ely 31 Stretham 33
ELY remain second despite this narrow defeat to third-placed Stretham at the weekend.
Ely's usual centre, Donna Liddington, moved to goal defence for the first time, and her energy contributed to a strong start, in which Ely went 4-0 up.
Stretham fought back until the first quarter ended with them one goal up.
Ely brought on Lisa Martin as wing attack and George Barnes as wing defence and the lead changed hands several times before the end of the third quarter when it stood at 25-25.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
An intense final quarter ensued and Ely were two goals up with seven minutes left, but Stretham made some clever interceptions which they consistently converted to goals in the dying minutes.