Netball: Ely just miss out in derby
Cambridge and District Netball League Div One Ely 31 Stretham 33 ELY remain second despite this narrow defeat to third-placed Stretham at the weekend. Ely s usual centre, Donna Liddington, moved to goal defence for the first time, and her energy contribut
Cambridge and District Netball League Div One
Ely 31 Stretham 33
ELY remain second despite this narrow defeat to third-placed Stretham at the weekend.
Ely's usual centre, Donna Liddington, moved to goal defence for the first time, and her energy contributed to a strong start, in which Ely went 4-0 up.
You may also want to watch:
Stretham fought back until the first quarter ended with them one goal up.
Ely brought on Lisa Martin as wing attack and George Barnes as wing defence and the lead changed hands several times before the end of the third quarter when it stood at 25-25.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
An intense final quarter ensued and Ely were two goals up with seven minutes left, but Stretham made some clever interceptions which they consistently converted to goals in the dying minutes.