Netball: Ely finally swoop on prey
Cambridgeshire and District Netball League Division One Ely 38 Hawks II 34 ELY remain in second place after pulling away in the final quarter to take victory. The Hawks proved to be tough opponents in Saturday s encounter, but the win means that Ely are
Cambridgeshire and District Netball League Division One
Ely 38 Hawks II 34
ELY remain in second place after pulling away in the final quarter to take victory.
The Hawks proved to be tough opponents in Saturday's encounter, but the win means that Ely are now just one point behind leaders Icons.
You may also want to watch:
A strong start saw the hosts leading by four goals after the first quarter, but they failed to take full advantage of an injury to the Hawks goal keeper and should have been further ahead.
The second quarter remained close, but thanks to some brilliant and accurate play by Donna Liddington down the centre of the court, Ely retained a two-goal advantage at half-time.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
Changes were made to the centre court players with Amy Beck and Lisa Martin swapping the wing attack and wing defence positions, but Ely were unable to increase their lead.
The pressure was on in the last quarter as Hawks pulled level but after some superb defending from goal keeper Sue Deas, Ely finally picked up the pace and capitalised on their opponent's mistakes.
George Barnes came on at wing attack and led some clever drives down the court where Ely's shooters managed to keep their cool and convert passes into goals.
Ely face fourth-placed Comberton III on March 18.
n Ely Netball Club will be entering three teams into this year's summer league, starting in May, and is looking for players to join the newly-formed third team.
Training takes place at Littleport Leisure Centre every Thursday, from 7.45-9pm, with a Level Two coach attending every other week.
Players of any standard are welcome. Anyone interested should contact Cassie Start on 07866 557 240.