Netball - Ely close in on leaders
Division One Ely 44 Burwell 33 ELY now sit just one point behind the league leaders after this eleven-goal victory. Jenny Calvert returned to put in an outstanding performance as goal-shooter and she was ably assisted by Donna Liddington and Paula
Ely 44 Burwell 33
ELY now sit just one point behind the league leaders after this eleven-goal victory. Jenny Calvert returned to put in an outstanding performance as goal-shooter and she was ably assisted by Donna Liddington and Paula Edwards. Ely established a six-goal lead by half-time.
Edwards was substituted for Amy Beck at wing attack and the fresh legs, along with great defensive interceptions by wing defence Georgina Barnes, helped stretch the lead to eight goals at the end of the third quarter.
You may also want to watch:
Goal attack, Katie Child, moved to centre and continued to outwit the Burwell defence, with precise passing to help Ely cruise to a comfortable win.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Falcons 49 Hawks 31
THE Falcons claimed a well-deserved six points on Sunday morning. Having led from the first centre, the Littleport-based Falcons dominated the match with a fantastic performance. Excellent shooting came from Annelize van Deventer and Victoria Mack, Laura Neaves, Cass Haggart and Amanda Gibbins put in solid displays in the centre, while Lindsey Neaves and Hayley Wilson put a stop to Hawks' shooting with their spectacular defence.
The Falcons trailed 29-14 at half-time, but a change of tactics worked and they were comfortable winners.
- Falcons train every Monday, from 7.30pm at Littleport Leisure Centre. New players are always welcome. Contact Lindsey on 01353 698693.
Cottenham 12 Ely II 38
A CONVINCING win kept Ely II in second place. Ely led at the end of every stage, and took control in the third quarter. Outstanding defending from Victoria Cutforth and Sally Shipley kept the Cottenham scoring chances down and Janice Quarrier and Trina Baldock linked superbly in the circle, converting the goals.