Netball - Ely close in on leaders
Division One Ely 44 Burwell 33 ELY now sit just one point behind the league leaders after this eleven-goal victory. Jenny Calvert returned to put in an outstanding performance as goal-shooter and she was ably assisted by Donna Liddington and Paula
Ely 44 Burwell 33
ELY now sit just one point behind the league leaders after this eleven-goal victory. Jenny Calvert returned to put in an outstanding performance as goal-shooter and she was ably assisted by Donna Liddington and Paula Edwards. Ely established a six-goal lead by half-time.
Edwards was substituted for Amy Beck at wing attack and the fresh legs, along with great defensive interceptions by wing defence Georgina Barnes, helped stretch the lead to eight goals at the end of the third quarter.
Goal attack, Katie Child, moved to centre and continued to outwit the Burwell defence, with precise passing to help Ely cruise to a comfortable win.
- 1 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 Development plans submitted for next phase of Cambridge North
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Family business claims two awards in face of pandemic pressure
Falcons 49 Hawks 31
THE Falcons claimed a well-deserved six points on Sunday morning. Having led from the first centre, the Littleport-based Falcons dominated the match with a fantastic performance. Excellent shooting came from Annelize van Deventer and Victoria Mack, Laura Neaves, Cass Haggart and Amanda Gibbins put in solid displays in the centre, while Lindsey Neaves and Hayley Wilson put a stop to Hawks' shooting with their spectacular defence.
The Falcons trailed 29-14 at half-time, but a change of tactics worked and they were comfortable winners.
- Falcons train every Monday, from 7.30pm at Littleport Leisure Centre. New players are always welcome. Contact Lindsey on 01353 698693.
Cottenham 12 Ely II 38
A CONVINCING win kept Ely II in second place. Ely led at the end of every stage, and took control in the third quarter. Outstanding defending from Victoria Cutforth and Sally Shipley kept the Cottenham scoring chances down and Janice Quarrier and Trina Baldock linked superbly in the circle, converting the goals.