Netball - Ely close in on leaders
Division One Ely 44 Burwell 33 ELY now sit just one point behind the league leaders after this eleven-goal victory. Jenny Calvert returned to put in an outstanding performance as goal-shooter and she was ably assisted by Donna Liddington and Paula
Ely 44 Burwell 33
ELY now sit just one point behind the league leaders after this eleven-goal victory. Jenny Calvert returned to put in an outstanding performance as goal-shooter and she was ably assisted by Donna Liddington and Paula Edwards. Ely established a six-goal lead by half-time.
Edwards was substituted for Amy Beck at wing attack and the fresh legs, along with great defensive interceptions by wing defence Georgina Barnes, helped stretch the lead to eight goals at the end of the third quarter.
Goal attack, Katie Child, moved to centre and continued to outwit the Burwell defence, with precise passing to help Ely cruise to a comfortable win.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Petition launched to save village pub
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
Falcons 49 Hawks 31
THE Falcons claimed a well-deserved six points on Sunday morning. Having led from the first centre, the Littleport-based Falcons dominated the match with a fantastic performance. Excellent shooting came from Annelize van Deventer and Victoria Mack, Laura Neaves, Cass Haggart and Amanda Gibbins put in solid displays in the centre, while Lindsey Neaves and Hayley Wilson put a stop to Hawks' shooting with their spectacular defence.
The Falcons trailed 29-14 at half-time, but a change of tactics worked and they were comfortable winners.
- Falcons train every Monday, from 7.30pm at Littleport Leisure Centre. New players are always welcome. Contact Lindsey on 01353 698693.
Cottenham 12 Ely II 38
A CONVINCING win kept Ely II in second place. Ely led at the end of every stage, and took control in the third quarter. Outstanding defending from Victoria Cutforth and Sally Shipley kept the Cottenham scoring chances down and Janice Quarrier and Trina Baldock linked superbly in the circle, converting the goals.