Needham Prove Too Strong For Robins
ELY City s recent run of good form was brought to an end on Saturday as they went down 2-0 at Needham Market. Two goals in a frantic opening 20 minutes all but put paid to Ely s hopes of a third successive win, as Needham took advantage of some slovenly d
ELY City's recent run of good form was brought to an end on Saturday as they went down 2-0 at Needham Market.
Two goals in a frantic opening 20 minutes all but put paid to Ely's hopes of a third successive win, as Needham took advantage of some slovenly defending to notch up an impressive victory.
The loss sees Ely slip to 15th place in the Ridgeons League Premier ahead of their clash with Mildenhall on Tuesday.
Needham took the lead after just three minutes as striker Darren Bethell latched on to a measured through ball to slot past keeper Lee Pacey. The home side kicked on in the wake of the goal and had several good chances to extend their lead.
You may also want to watch:
The home side finally doubled their advantage after 20 minutes as Rhys Barber rose highest to nod home a pinpoint cross.
Robins' captain Simon Warren should have cut the deficit to one seconds before half-time but his reaction effort from close range failed to test the keeper after the ball broke loose from a freekick.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
The Robins breathed a sigh of relief on the hour mark as Needham spurned a decent one-on-one chance and Denis Lightning's men went closed still through Nick Impey, whose low shot was blocked on the line.
Despite the game opening up in the last 10 minutes, neither side proved able to find the net.