Narrow win for battling Ely
- Credit: Archant
Hockey Ely Ladies 1 Norwich Dragons II 0
Narissa Gipp’s well-worked short corner goal was the difference between the sides in a closely-fought battle at Downham Road on Saturday.
The match started at a quick pace with both teams keen to move the ball across the pitch. But it was the Dragons who managed to gain the upper hand as the Ely defence were forced to soak up increasing pressure.
Amanda Baxter had some counter-attacking efforts well saved by the Dragons goalkeeper and the scores remained level going in at half-time.
Play opened up after the break and Kat Bamber had to be alert in the Ely goal to deny a flurry of Norwich shots before, against the run of play, Ely broke away and earned a short corner as Norwich reacted slowly.
Ely captain Ali Chapman called for a short corner routine to exploit the Norwich keeper’s weakness and the decision worked perfectly as Gipp put the ball in the back of the net.
After going behind, Norwich redoubled their efforts and Bamber was once again called upon to deny the visitors with some excellent saves. The post also came to Ely’s rescue as Norwich laid siege to their goal in the final 10 minutes.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 3 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
For all their possession, however, they failed to break Ely down and Chapman’s team came away with the win that moves them up into fifth place in Division 2NE.