Narrow win for battling Ely
- Credit: Archant
Hockey Ely Ladies 1 Norwich Dragons II 0
Narissa Gipp’s well-worked short corner goal was the difference between the sides in a closely-fought battle at Downham Road on Saturday.
The match started at a quick pace with both teams keen to move the ball across the pitch. But it was the Dragons who managed to gain the upper hand as the Ely defence were forced to soak up increasing pressure.
Amanda Baxter had some counter-attacking efforts well saved by the Dragons goalkeeper and the scores remained level going in at half-time.
Play opened up after the break and Kat Bamber had to be alert in the Ely goal to deny a flurry of Norwich shots before, against the run of play, Ely broke away and earned a short corner as Norwich reacted slowly.
You may also want to watch:
Ely captain Ali Chapman called for a short corner routine to exploit the Norwich keeper’s weakness and the decision worked perfectly as Gipp put the ball in the back of the net.
After going behind, Norwich redoubled their efforts and Bamber was once again called upon to deny the visitors with some excellent saves. The post also came to Ely’s rescue as Norwich laid siege to their goal in the final 10 minutes.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
For all their possession, however, they failed to break Ely down and Chapman’s team came away with the win that moves them up into fifth place in Division 2NE.