NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Sensational Soham comeback as nine men strike twice in stoppage time to earn first point

Sam Mulready (right) inspired a staggering Soham Town Rangers fightback last Saturday. Picture: ANDY

Sam Mulready (right) inspired a staggering Soham Town Rangers fightback last Saturday. Picture: ANDY BURFORD - Credit: Archant

Soham Town Rangers produced a sensational comeback to claim their first Bostik North Division point of the season last Saturday.

Robbie Mason’s men look destined for home defeat when trailing Tilbury by two goals going into stoppage time and having seen two players sent off.

But Rangers roared back onto level terms during incredible late drama at Julius Martin Lane thanks to a brace of Sam Mulready strikes to earn a 2-2 draw.

The frontman halved their arrears from the penalty spot before bundling in a leveller against all odds.

“Two goals in the last two minutes of the game to rescue us a point,” said Mulready on social media afterwards. “I’ll take that . . .”

Rangers conceded in the final moments of the first half before seeing their deficit double a minute into the second period.

Their plight worsened when Jon Kaye was dismissed just before the hour for collecting a second caution and Soham were reduced to nine men when Lewis Endacott saw red entering the 90th minute.

Most Read

But that merely proved to be the start of the drama as Mulready dragged them to an unlikely draw.

Soham were then dumped out of the Velocity Trophy at the preliminary round stage on Tuesday.

They suffered a 3-2 exit at the hands of South Central Division side Uxbridge at Julius Martin Lane.

Rangers, who handed a debut to youth product Phil Turner, fell behind early on before Ally Conway levelled midway through the first half.

Uxbridge regained their lead from the penalty spot early in the second half before adding a third goal just after the hour.

Mulready, who had been left on the bench, hit a stoppage-time consolation for Soham as they bowed out.

Rangers go to lower-level Biggleswade FC on Saturday, 3pm, in the preliminary round of the FA Cup before making a short league trip to Bury Town on Bank Holiday Monday, 3pm – that fixture won’t take place if either side are involved in an FA Cup replay.

The man who scored the goal that kept Soham in the Bostik North Division on the final day of the 2016/17 has returned to the club.

Defender Lloyd Groves has re-joined on a dual registration deal from higher-level St Ives Town.

Groves, who was also assistant manager at the time, famously grabbed a late winner in a 4-3 success against Maldon & Tiptree that kept the Greens up.

He has been an unused substitute for the games against Tilbury and Uxbridge.