Mixed week for Robins
IT was another mixed bag for Ely City this week as they booked their place in the preliminary round of the FA Cup and crashed to a resounding defeat in the league inside three days.
On Saturday, the Robins thumped Diss Town 4-0 in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup but were unable to carry their good form into Tuesday night’s trip to Haverhill Rovers, where they were thrashed 5-1.
Alan Alsop’s men will look to regain their consistency when they travel to Gorleston on Saturday in the league, before welcoming Diss Town to the Unwin Ground again on Tuesday night.
Front-man Richard Chadwick opened the scoring for the Robins after just five minutes of their FA Cup clash with Diss on Saturday and the hosts went in at half-time 2-0 up following an own goal.
Chadwick struck again shortly after the break to all but seal the win and Luke Parkinson rattled home from the spot to complete the rout in the 84th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Things didn’t quite run so smoothly for Alsop’s men on Tuesday however, as they found themselves 2-0 down inside the opening five minutes at Haverhill.
Though Chadwick pulled a goal back for Ely, their comeback was short-lived as Haverhill added two more before the break to put the game beyond the visitors.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Though the Robins’ defensing vastly improved after the break, they were powerless to stop the home side adding a fifth goal with 20 minutes remaining.