Mixed week for Robins
IT was another mixed bag for Ely City this week as they booked their place in the preliminary round of the FA Cup and crashed to a resounding defeat in the league inside three days.
On Saturday, the Robins thumped Diss Town 4-0 in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup but were unable to carry their good form into Tuesday night’s trip to Haverhill Rovers, where they were thrashed 5-1.
Alan Alsop’s men will look to regain their consistency when they travel to Gorleston on Saturday in the league, before welcoming Diss Town to the Unwin Ground again on Tuesday night.
Front-man Richard Chadwick opened the scoring for the Robins after just five minutes of their FA Cup clash with Diss on Saturday and the hosts went in at half-time 2-0 up following an own goal.
Chadwick struck again shortly after the break to all but seal the win and Luke Parkinson rattled home from the spot to complete the rout in the 84th minute.
Things didn’t quite run so smoothly for Alsop’s men on Tuesday however, as they found themselves 2-0 down inside the opening five minutes at Haverhill.
Though Chadwick pulled a goal back for Ely, their comeback was short-lived as Haverhill added two more before the break to put the game beyond the visitors.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 7 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Though the Robins’ defensing vastly improved after the break, they were powerless to stop the home side adding a fifth goal with 20 minutes remaining.