Mixed fortunes for the reserves

KERSHAW PREMIER DIVISION ELY City Reserves made further progress up the table with a midweek win against bottom-of-the-table Wisbech Town Reserves, but suffered a surprising home defeat on Saturday at the hands of Eaton Socon. Dave Cornwell put them ahead


ELY City Reserves made further progress up the table with a midweek win against bottom-of-the-table Wisbech Town Reserves, but suffered a surprising home defeat on Saturday at the hands of Eaton Socon.

Dave Cornwell put them ahead during a cagey first half, but the visitors levelled on the half-hour mark and the game seemed to be heading for a draw.

But Eaton Socon scored with two minutes remaining to earn a 2-1 victory.

City felt that the winning goal should have been disallowed for offside, and to make matters worse Rory Hutton's last-gasp effort - which would have made it 2-2 - was ruled out by the referee for a foul.

In the midweek game Cornwell had also been on target, scoring twice in the opening 20 minutes to put the skids under Wisbech's second string.

Most Read

The visitors pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time, but Cornwell went on to complete his hat-trick and in doing so sealed a 3-1 win.

Littleport Town returned to winning ways at the expense of Great Paxton.

Nigel Smith's opener was cancelled out as Paxton enjoyed their best spell of the game, but Smith restored Town's lead and a double from Will Ludbrooke made it 4-1 before half-time.

Paxton's goalkeeper departed from the fray at this stage, but his replacement fared rather better in the second half.

'Port's goalkeeper Dan Whebell was called into action himself after the break, but Paxton scored to make it 4-2 before Ludbrooke completed his hat-trick to make the final score 5-2.

Fordham faced leaders Great Shelford at home, but were unable to repeat their shock early-season 3-2 success against the title-holders.

Fordham made a bright start and Daniel Alcock hit the post when he really should have scored, but Shelford scored twice in the last 10 minutes of the first half and then scored a third goal with 25 minutes remaining.

Dan Langley nodded home Jamie Palmer's 75th-minute cross to reduce the arrears, but the hosts were unable to make any further inroads into the deficit.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves claimed their first league victory of the season in midweek, beating Fulbourn Institute with what manager Steve Bye described as their "best performance of the season".

Harley Day opened the scoring for Rangers, and Alex Irvine's double extended their lead to 3-0 at the break.

Sam Cooper added a fourth goal for Soham before Fulbourn made it 4-1 in the closing stages.

"We've been playing teams off the park," said Bye, "but we just haven't been scoring. It's just been a matter of time."


SOHAM United belied their lowly position in the table by drawing 1-1 against high-flying Helions Bumpstead.

They trailed after 25 minutes, but Dan Simmons equalised soon afterwards and that was how it finished.

"They (Helions Bumpstead) said that we were the best side they've played all season," said United boss Andy Parker afterwards, adding: "We should have won."

Littleport Town were also in action, but went down 5-2 at West Row Gunners despite goals from Scott Dews and teenager Reuben Silva.


AARON Spencer helped himself to four goals as Witchford '96 thrashed Lode 8-0.

Richard Martin was also on target with a brace in Witchford's emphatic win.

Pymoor FC went down 2-0 at Needingworth United Reserves.


ELY Crusaders lost the 100 per cent record in this section with a surprise 7-0 defeat at Wisbech St Mary A.

Soham United Reserves also went down without scoring as they crashed 4-0 at home to Newmarket Town A and Little Downham Swifts did likewise, losing 2-0 at Cottenham United A.

Ian Butterworth was on target for Fordham Reserves, but his side lost 2-1 as local rivals Haddenham Rovers Reserves moved off the bottom of the table by claiming their first points of the campaign.


WICKEN Amateurs became the first team to take points off Fenstanton Reserves this season, but had to settle for a 3-3 draw after conceding a late goal.

Nathan Sheriff scored direct from a corner in the seventh minute, but Fenstanton took the lead with goals either side of the break.

Sheriff made it 2-2 after the visiting goalkeeper failed to deal with a Jamie Palmer cross, and he then completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Palmer had been brought down with eight minutes remaining.

Fenstanton were determined not to lose and they snatched an equaliser in the third minute of stoppage time.

The Vine Reserves went down by the only goal of the game at Swavesey Institute Reserves, and Littleport Town A were crushed 7-1 at Barton Mills Reserves.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves conceded two goals in each half to lose 4-0 at Supercue, but Little Downham Swifts Reserves won 3-0 at home to Wisbech St Mary A.


SUTTON United were helped by a strong referee as they progressed at the expense of volatile Real March.

March had a player dismissed at the start of the second half, and Sutton went on to win 6-3 with goals from Matthew Keys (3), Wayne Newman, Russell Mansfield and Sean Bristow.

Isleham United lost 6-0 at Wimblington Reserves and The Vine succumbed 2-0 at home to Whittlesey United Reserves, but Ely City A are through after a 1-0 home victory against West Wratting Reserves.

The tie was scoreless at the break, but City made the decisive breakthrough when Rob Parker converted a Matt Brodie corner.

GOALKEEPER Kerion Harris was on target from the penalty spot as Triple-S hit double figures against Senior Division strugglers Newmarket Albion.

Ben Howe hit four goals in the team's 10-1 win, and he was joined on the scoresheet by James McCabe (2), Lee Moll, Wayne Bell and Stephen Bell.

Ely Park Rangers won 2-1 at Kingston Foresters in the same section with goals from David Harvey and Dave Cornwell, and their Division 1A Reserves were also successful, winning 8-2 at the expense of Cambridge Cosmos.

QPR Ely beat Alma FC 5-1 in Division 2A, whilst in Division 3A Wilburton Albion became the first team to take points off Milton Sunday.

Wilburton dominated the first half and deserved to lead, but Milton can count themselves unlucky because they had a "goal" controversially disallowed for offside.

In the first round of the Cambs FA Centenary Cup, Ely Pymoor Rangers went down 1-0 at home to Surff United - a team they had previously beaten 6-0 in the league.