Mixed fortunes for Soham Town Rangers
BGB SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE – MIDLANDS Marlow 2 Soham Town Rangers 0 MARLOW had the better of the opening exchanges in this midweek encounter, but Billy Smith missed a great chance to put the visitors ahead. Jermaine Roche then had a shot cleared of
BGB SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE - MIDLANDS
Marlow 2 Soham Town Rangers 0
MARLOW had the better of the opening exchanges in this midweek encounter, but Billy Smith missed a great chance to put the visitors ahead.
Jermaine Roche then had a shot cleared off the line by Martin McNeil, but as the first half was drawing to a close Simon Flanz was adjudged to have fouled Case in the area and Roche fired past Lea Jordan from the spot.
You may also want to watch:
Jordan made a number of saves in the second half to keep Soham in contention, but with seven minutes remaining Marlow made the points safe when Aaron Couch scored at the near post.
Bromsgrove Rovers 0 Soham Town Rangers 2
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
SOHAM returned to winning ways on Saturday as goals from Scott Carter and Darren Jimson earned them three points at the expense of Bromsgrove.
Rangers took the lead on 20 minutes, with home goalkeeper Dormand punching weakly from a Paul Jones cross and Carter firing into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area.
Jones then lifted a shot over the bar with only the 'keeper to beat, and Soham lost the services of Carter with a hamstring injury.
Substitute Martin Bromwich immediately forced a diving save from Dormand, but Bromsgrove started to threaten an equaliser as the first half drew to a close.
They continued their pursuit as the second period got underway, and Rangers goalkeeper Jordan was called into action on several occasions, saving with his legs from Craven and then finger-tipping Taylor's effort wide of the goal.
Deakin then struck a shot against the post from 20 yards, and although Rangers were being forced to defend they still looked dangerous on the counter-attack.
Then with 10 minutes remaining Darren Jimson - who was returning to action after suspension - sealed the points for Soham.
Bromwich and Smith combined to reach Jimson on the edge of the penalty area, and his superb curling shot flew over Dormand and inside the post.
It was Jimson's sixth goal of the season, and perhaps one of the most important as Soham strive to stay out of the relegation zone.
Rangers hosted Barton Rovers in the league on Tuesday night, and on Saturday entertain Chesham United - again in the league.