Minors gain major lead
ELY Roller Hockey Club s Green Minors team have extended their lead to four points at the top of Division Two following a hugely successful weekend. Their trip to Colchester began well when they romped to a 6-1 victory over the home side thanks to a hat-t
ELY Roller Hockey Club's Green Minors team have extended their lead to four points at the top of Division Two following a hugely successful weekend.
Their trip to Colchester began well when they romped to a 6-1 victory over the home side thanks to a hat-trick from Max Dunand and goals from James Cox, Sam Arnold and Steph Collier.
Greens then made a dramatic recovery from 7-4 down to defeat EC Select 8-7. Cox scored four while other goals came from Aiden Cooper, Dunand, Callum Thoday and an own goal.
The team continued their rich vein of goal-scoring form when they defeated Cottenham 15-2. Emma Gillett and Thoday scored four apiece, Cooper, Arnold and Dunand each netted a brace and Cox also hit the target.
You may also want to watch:
Dunand was named player of the day.
Ely Blue Minors were at Soham on Saturday, where they lost 7-3 to Bury. Sam Norton scored all of the Ely goals.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
Norton and Dan Salisbury scored in the next game against King's Lynn but the Blues lost 5-2.
However, there was a much better result against Peterborough when the Blues recorded a 10-2 win. Norton hit a superb double hat-trick, Salisbury scored two and other goals came from Dan Drewery and Dominic Jones.
Both the Blue and Green Inter teams were in action in Peterborough on Sunday.
The Greens picked up a great 3-1 win in their first match against Letchworth courtesy of a brace from Norton and a Cox goal.
The Blues struggled in their first match against Peterborough A and lost 10-0 but they put up a real fight against Blues in the all-Ely clash.
The Greens finally won 5-1 with Norton netting four and Arnold also hitting the target. Michael Hart scored for the Blues.
Five goals from Drewery helped Blues to a 10-1 win over Peterborough B. Braces from Michael Hart and Collier and a goal from Gillett completed the scoring.
Norton scored four in Greens' final match of the day but their opponents Peterborough A, edged the game 5-4.