Mingay Shines Again As Soham Win
AN inspired team performance from Soham saw them clinch victory over a testing Cottenham side at the weekend. After setting the tone with an imposing 207-9 from their 40 overs, Soham turned their attentions to the ball and a flurry of wickets in the middl
AN inspired team performance from Soham saw them clinch victory over a testing Cottenham side at the weekend.
After setting the tone with an imposing 207-9 from their 40 overs, Soham turned their attentions to the ball and a flurry of wickets in the middle overs ensured that Cottenham were unable to settle at the crease, ultimately affording the home side a 35 run victory.
The win, Soham's second in as many games, secures them joint-top spot in the Junior CCA League Division 3A with Burwell and Ely.
Having won the toss Soham set about posting a sizeable total for their visitors to chase and the ground-work for a decent total was laid once again, by the measured stroke-play of Nick Mingay who added to his 55 against Sutton with a steadfast 84 on this occasion.
You may also want to watch:
Mingay was manfully supported by timely knocks from Fretwell (32) and John Lane (27) to see his side to a more than useful 207-9 from their 40 overs, a brisk scoring rate of 5.1.
Though the scoring rate was an imposing one, Cottenham set about their task with ardour and an opening stand of 78 from Geoff Davis and Phil Hands left Soham in desperate need of wickets.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
Fortunately for Soham though, the timeless adage that one wicket will often bring two rang true and with the top order whittled away the pack began to fold.
A frugal bowling display from Peter Fretwell (4-48) and once again from David Lunn (4-48) who now has nine wickets at an average of six this season, ensured Soham scored an ultimately solid 35 run victory.