Mildenhall claw two points back
MATTY Clements struck four times in three days as Mildenhall clawed two points back on Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Wroxham. As Wroxham dropped two points in a goalless draw at mid-table Woodbridge on Monday, Mildenhall demolished fifth-placed Leisto
MATTY Clements struck four times in three days as Mildenhall clawed two points back on Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Wroxham.
As Wroxham dropped two points in a goalless draw at mid-table Woodbridge on Monday, Mildenhall demolished fifth-placed Leiston 4-0 away, following up Saturday's convincing 3-1 home win over Histon Reserves.
# Leiston 0 Mildenhall Town 4
Town were given an early scare when Blair Hammond struck the post, but Simon Head floated in a beautiful free-kick against his former club to give the visitors the lead midway through the first half.
Mildenhall, playing with Craig Hammond as a lone striker with Matty Clements and Dan Heron on the wings, and three in the centre of midfield, closed down quickly, stifling Leiston's attempts to play their natural passing game.
Clements made it 2-0 in the second half by firing into the bottom corner after collecting a miss-placed pass.
- 1 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 2 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 6 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 7 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 8 Progress on introducing new 20mph speed limits to be discussed
- 9 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 10 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday
A tireless Hammond lobbed the goalkeeper to make it 3-0, shortly after hitting the post, and then delivered a fine pass for Clements to finish from 10 yards.
# Mildenhall Town 3 Histon Reserves 1.
Mildenhall used Matty Clements' pace to great effect, as the winger moved inside to play centre-forward and hit a deadly double on Saturday.
'Hall took the lead five minutes before the interval when Craig Hammond moved into the box to strike past his former club.
A Benny Murray half-volley put the visitors back on level terms early in the second half.
Former international hurdler Clements then moved from the right wing to centre-forward and raced on to two long balls to score in the 60th and then 68th minutes to win the game.
Mildenhall boss Trevor Munns said: "Wroxham have still got to slip up a couple of times, and they are a very good side, so I can't really see them doing that. I've always told the lads to not worry about what other teams are doing and it's really pleasing to see us playing so well throughout the whole team.
"We've played four games in nine days and got 12 points. That's coming off the back of two successive defeats, so it just shows the strength of character we have at the club."
# Mildenhall play Kirkley at home on Saturday.