Midweek Draw For Soham Was Good Result
BGB SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE – MIDLANDS Soham Town Rangers 1 Aylesbury United 1 AYLESBURY have just reached the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup by defeating Bath City of Conference South, so this midweek draw was a good result for Ian Benjamin
BGB SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE - MIDLANDS
Soham Town Rangers 1 Aylesbury United 1
AYLESBURY have just reached the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup by defeating Bath City of Conference South, so this midweek draw was a good result for Ian Benjamin's side.
Furnell came in for the departed Michael Simpson, and Scott Johnson took over as captain of the team.
You may also want to watch:
Jimson saw a curling 25-yard effort bounce back off the bar, but the visitors were gifted a fourth minute lead.
Aaron Turner's 20-yard back pass eluded goalkeeper Lea Jordan, and the ball crept over the line with the help of the far post for an own goal.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
At the start of the second half Smith missed the chance to open his account for Soham when he rounded Sillitoe in the Aylesbury goal but fired into the side netting.
Shortly afterwards however, Rangers equalised with a slightly fortuitous effort.
Jimson cut inside two defenders and shot from distance, with the ball spinning awkwardly in front of Sillitoe after taking a deflection.
The goalkeeper consequently misjudged the bounce, and the ball squirmed over his body and about a foot over the line before he could claw it back.
Jimson almost clinched victory in the closing stages, but his shot - again deflected - this time clipped the bar.