Mepal give slim Rovers’ return

Under-8 Haddenham Rovers Colts 3 Mepal Sporting 3 HADDENHAM and Mepal eventually shared the spoils in an excellent close-fought encounter. Rovers took the lead when Joshua Lowe latched onto a Mepal goal kick to volley the ball into the goal from hi


Haddenham Rovers Colts 3 Mepal Sporting 3

HADDENHAM and Mepal eventually shared the spoils in an excellent close-fought encounter.

Rovers took the lead when Joshua Lowe latched onto a Mepal goal kick to volley the ball into the goal from his own half.

The lead was doubled thanks to Matthew Wright's rifled shot into the top corner and despite Mepal pulling a goal back, Rovers restored their two-goal lead before the break when Wright netted his second.

Mepal fought back with a strike in the second quarter and scored a dramatic equaliser in the dying minutes of the final quarter.

Most Read

Haddenham's man of the match was the tireless Kieran Petty.

Haddenham: William Darlington, Jake Alsop, Joseph Alsop, Matthew Wright, Kieran Petty, Joshua Lowe, Matthew Beary, Ricky Sawyer, Charlie Tunnel.


Witchford Colts 9

Soham United 1

WITCHFORD produced another good performance and a fine victory.

Soham started the brighter and opened the scoring with a good goal but Colts hit back and Sam Gulliver began to control the midfield.

Nathan Parker earned himself the man of the match award with a well-taken hat-trick while Euan Gilmour and Sam Gulliver netted a brace apiece.

Other goals came from Matthew Loades and Daniel Chapman.

Colts: Sam Gulliver, Matthew Loades, Euan Gilmour, Nathan Parker, Nathan Francis, Daniel Chapman, Harry Braybrooke, Ruairidh MacDonald.


Witchford 1 Ely Crusaders A 2

CRUSADERS edged this local derby and deserved their 2-1 win over league leaders Witchford.

The woodwork denied Ely an opening goal but skipper Luke Brown eventually broke the deadlock on 18 minutes with his 15th goal of the season.

Within three minutes, Ely had doubled their lead when Ryan Dean smashed in Brown's cross and Crusaders produced a superb display of football.

Fine defending, particularly from man of the match Jordan Rowsel, kept Witchford at bay until the final minute when they scored a consolation through Conor Meads.

Crusaders: Aiden Merry, Oliver Bailey, Fraser Crossman, Luke Brown (c), Joe Minar, James Hutton, Jonathan Humphry, Oliver Bailey, Ryan Dean, Jordan Rowsel.

Witchford: Brandon Phillips, Eddie Bowles, Sam Robbins, Ben Goad, Jack Bradney, Spencer Saberton, James Edwards, Hayden Brown, Conor Meads, David Mayle, Alec Hewitt.

Stretham Sporting 2 Soham Town Colts 6

BOTH teams kicked-off determined to attack and an early Stretham lead was wiped-out by an equaliser from man of the match Ross Davey.

Soham began to dominate and were rewarded with goals from Sean Turner and Jordan Turpin to open-up a 3-1 lead at the break.

Stretham dug in and reduced the deficit but Colts were not to be denied and made sure of the victory when Turpin, Davey and Kieran Fuller found the back of the net.

Ely Crusaders 3 Lakenheath Youth 1

ELY were given the opportunity to break the deadlock with their first spot-kick in three seasons.

Skipper Dominic Hunt stepped-up to dispatch the penalty and Crusaders settled down and began to play fine football.

The Ely captain doubled the lead before Charlie Root's second-half header put Crusaders in control. Lakenheath scored a late consolation.

Ely: Athi Ambi, Dominic Hunt (c), Sarah Lappin, Conor Logan, Daniel Moody, Mitchell Morse, Charlie Root, Jamie Simper, Will Stephens, Tom Walker, Ethan Weinberg.


Littleport Town 5

Coton Cosmos 0

LITTLEPORT got off to a good start in the first round of the Knockout Cup with a thumping win over Cosmos.

A fine team effort was rewarded by Colt Harvey's hat-trick and goals from Leon Chaplin and Christiano Cabrial.

Littleport: Gareth Ball, Colt Harvey, Ethan Povey, Tommy Faulkner, Thomas Green, Leon Chaplin, Morgan Colleridge, Sam Peskett, Christiano Cabrial.

Haddenham Rovers Colts 2 Chatteris Town 0

ROVERS continued their fine run of form with a comfortable victory over Chatteris.

Following early missed chances, Rovers opened the scoring on 20 minutes when James Beary converted Alex Lowe's through-ball.

Haddenham continued to pile on the pressure in the second half and good defending from Matthew Morton and Jake Bartolozzi kept Rovers ahead before Theo Hall scored a late second.

Haddenham: Richard Padmore, Jake Bartolozzi, Matthew Morton, Theo Hall, Alex Lowe, Kieran Drummond, Joe Snooks, James Beary, Oliver Holden, John Falconer.

Haddenham Rovers Colts A 4 Lakenheath 0

COLTS cantered into the next round of the Knockout Cup with an impressive victory over Lakenheath.

Oliver Holden's header broke the deadlock and he doubled his tally in the second half with another good finish.

Kieran Drummond's long-distance chip made it 3-0 and the scoring was completed when John Falconer produced a cool finish to end another good move.

Haddenham: Richard Padmore, Matthew Morton, Theo Hall, Jake Bartolozzi, Kieran Drummond, John Falconer, Oliver Holden, Joe Snooks, Alex Lowe.

Girton Colts 2

Ely Crusaders Colts 3

ELY progressed to the fourth round of the Colts League Cup after edging this end-to-end thriller.

Early Ely attacks resulted in Rowan Shergold's goal on seven minutes but the home team hit back with an equaliser just before the break.

Scott Callaghan's solo effort restored Crusaders' lead and Shergold lobbed the keeper to make it 3-1.

Girton responded with a second goal but Ely battled hard to win the game.

Ely: Oscar Haines, Ryan Marston, Tom Matcham, Harry Beeton, Tyler Thurston, Scott Callaghan, Thomas Walker, Tom Briscoe, James Callow, Jake Day, Sam Dix, Alex Germeney, Luke Hall, Lewis Jones, Rowan Shergold, Joe Steggles.


Spartak 78 0

Littleport Town 9

PORT'S comfortable 9-0 win saw them safely through to the next round of the Knockout Cup.

Nico Bishop opened the scoring within seconds of the start and the goal-feast continued throughout the first half as Kiaran Phillips completed a hat-trick and Joseph Murfitt scored a fifth.

Bishop notched a hat-trick in the second half and Ashton Oakes' unstoppable shot completed the rout.

Littleport: Sam Barker, Jake Browning, Jake Kennedy, Charlie Bowditch (c), Ben Jewitt, Kiaran Phillips, Ben Hawkins, Arron Heaps, Luke Thompson, Joseph Murfitt, Nico Bishop, Jed Oak-Leigh, Aston Oakes.

Soham Town Colts 1

Fulbourn Falcons 0

SOHAM avenged a league defeat to Falcons earlier in the season but they had to wait for the breakthrough.

Despite good pressure, Soham were unable to find the back of the net until the second half when Dominic Smith's long-range effort sailed in.

Falcons pushed for the equaliser but good Soham defending protected the lead.


Soham Utd 2

Cambourne 0

SOHAM produced their best performance of the season to see off table-toppers Cambourne.

A fine first-half display resulted in two goals from Olly Henderson and Murray King while at the other end keeper Joel Orme pulled off two great saves to keep Soham ahead.

Cambourne piled on the pressure in the second half but good defending from man of the match Michael Wallis and Jack Hindle-Smith denied them.

Soham Town Colts 5

Witchford 3

A COMMANDING display from Colts gave them a win and booked their place in the next round of the Cambs Colts Under-13 Cup.

Chris Smith opened the scoring with a cleverly-taken lob before Mark Samuels hit the target and Ross Pears netted a brace to put Colts 4-0 up at the break.

Chris Avis made it 5-0 soon after the interval and despite a comeback from Witchford, Colts held on to win.


Ely City 1

Sawston 1

CITY had to settle for a point in a game that they could have easily won.

Ely bombarded their opponents' goal with shots but it was Sawston who opened the scoring from a break in the first half.

The pattern of play continued in the second half and City eventually scored when Matt Waites converted a spot kick but despite continued pressure, Ely were unable to find the winner.

Liam Heaps was voted the man of the match.

Isleham Girls 6 Fulbourn Girls 1

THE Fillies recorded their first win of the season thanks to a spirited second-half performance.

Charlie Houghton gave Isleham the lead but Fulbourn took advantage of hesitancy in the defence to hit back with an equaliser.

A rejuvenated Isleham were a different side in the second half and Lydia Vince's hat-trick was complemented by a strike from skipper Jaz Dorling and Laura Woolley's first-ever goal for the Fillies.

Soham Town Colts 4

Cambridge Musketeers 0

AGAIN Soham made a slow start and had to reflect on a goalless first half.

It was a different story in the second half and goals from Dan Whitwell, Simon Murfitt, Josh Heaps and man of the match Elliot Drewery guided Soham to a good win.

Soham: Charlie Wills, Josh Heaps, Simon Murfitt, Dalton Isaacson, Dan Sadler, Francis Rowlands, Craig Allen, Dan Whitwell, Andrew Pickerill, Ryan Brook, Elliot Drewery, Anthony Duncombe, Michael Rola, Leevan Marshall.


Littleport Town 2

Ely City 4

BOTH sides contributed to an entertaining, attacking Knockout Cup game but the deadlock was not broken until shortly before the break.

An Ely shot arrowed into the top corner of the net but Town hit back immediately when Dan Bell powered home from a tight angle.

Sean Monigatti put Town ahead in the second half but City hit back with three unanswered goals to go through to the next round.

Littleport: Rob Wilson, Adam Reckless, Lee Fuller, John Kelly, Matt Fuller, Luke Williams, John Bartlett, James Elliot, Tom Evans, Dan Bell, Sean Monigatti, Sam Males, Oli Pindar, Ryan Middleton.