Mens' Hockey Round-up
HOCKEY Boston Mens 1st XI 1 Ely City Mens 1st XI 9 TOMMY Hugo grabbed his third hat-trick in as many games in this match, but the match was ended prematurely by the umpire as Boston players allowed their tempers to boil over. Captain Chris Vincett scored
Boston Mens 1st XI 1 Ely City Mens 1st XI 9
TOMMY Hugo grabbed his third hat-trick in as many games in this match, but the match was ended prematurely by the umpire as Boston players allowed their tempers to boil over.
Captain Chris Vincett scored with a powerful drive after just two minutes, and Hugo added number two as Ely settled into their usual free-flowing passing game.
Chris Purlant's 75-yard pinpoint pass then released Hugo to make it 3-0 to the visitors, and Tom Rutledge capitalised on a well-worked short-corner before Vincett netted his second of the game.
Vincett took his personal tally to four with another brace at the start of the second half, and Boston were reduced to 10-men following a bad tackle on Rich Vincett.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
Boston immediately pulled a goal back, but Chris Purlant added number eight before two more Boston players received their marching orders.
Hugo's hat-trick goal extended Ely's advantage to 9-1, and after consulting both captains the umpire called time five minutes early.
Ely City Mens 3rd XI 8 March Town 4th XI 0
BOTH teams had started the season with two wins, but on this occasion March proved no match for the home side.
Chris Roberts opened the scoring after a good move involving Julian Palmer, Jack Upton, Richard Marley and Dan Warby, and Warby himself made it 2-0 soon afterwards when Mark Upton won the ball in midfield and involved Rob Minns and and Marley in move which saw the ball cannon off the post.
Mark Upton added number three after another great move, and Warby's pass enabled Roberts to score with a first time shot that made it 4-0.
Warby's low shot extended Ely's lead further, and Jack Upton provided Roberts with his hat-trick goal just before the interval, a reverse-stick shot leaving the March goalkeeper helpless.
Ely defended resolutely as March improved after the break, but Marley slipped the ball in after the 'keeper had blocked a drive from Roberts to make it 7-0.
Roberts then completed the rout with goal number eight, although his effort was intended as a pass to Jack Upton but instead rattled home off the post.
Upton was voted man-of-the-match, with Andrew Monteith running him a close second.
INFO: Ely City Hockey Club welcomes new players - of all abilities and ages - to join them. Contact details are available on www.elycityhockeyclub.co.uk/