Men's Hockey Round-Up
HOCKEY Ely I 3 Wisbech II 5 ELY experimented tactically for their last game against Wisbech II but found themselves 3-0 down within ten minutes. A short corner was then finished by Richard Vincett, but Wisbech scored again. Ely regrouped and began to do
Ely I 3 Wisbech II 5
ELY experimented tactically for their last game against Wisbech II but found themselves 3-0 down within ten minutes.
A short corner was then finished by Richard Vincett, but Wisbech scored again.
Ely regrouped and began to dominate, and Fez Abbas - the only Ely regular player not to score so far this season - managed to squeeze a flick past the Wisbech goalkeeper to make it 4-2 at half-time.
Ely came out in dominant mood and Tom Rutledge quickly found the backboard for his second of the season, but with 10 minutes to go a soft goal crept in to secure Wisbech's win.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Ely I: Ash Gilmour, Joel Gilmour, Richard Vincett, Fez Abbas, Julian Palmer, Tom Rutledge, Chris Purlant, Stu Clarke, Grant Gilmour, Ed Hugo, Tommy Hugo, Chris Vincett (Captain), Simon Webb.
Ely City IV 4 March Town V 1
MARCH V arrived at Ely to play Ely City IV in a re-arranged match.
The young March side had already won the title, having clinched it last week at City of Peterborough.
Ely went ahead within five minutes, and the March defence then had to be on its toes to keep out a couple of penalty corner attempts from the Ely forwards.
March equalised after 15 minutes, but Ely regained the lead two minutes later and March did well to contain their opponents leading up to the break.
The home side added a third goal almost from the restart however, and wrapped up the game and the points with a fourth goal, with Alex Spence and Matt Warby both scoring twice.