RUGBY UNION: McCarthy masterclass helps Ely Tigers to West Norfolk win
- Credit: Archant
A Matt McCarthy hat-trick helped Ely Tigers get back to winning ways on Friday night.
McCarthy’s impressive treble helped Ely on their way to a 31-12 victory over West Norfolk on Friday night.
The Tigers overcame a shaky first half to claim their sixth win of the season and move to within two points of fourth-placed Thetford – who they take on this weekend - in the London Leagues Eastern Counties standings.
West Norfolk defended well in the opening 15 minutes but their resistance was finally broken by McCarthy, who dotted down after stepping inside the defence.
Matt Ings intercepted a pass and sprinted the length of the pitch to score a second, but Norfolk reduced the arrears with an unconverted try before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Ely raced out the blocks in the second period and McCarthy added his second and third tries. The hosts notched a consolation try but Ryan Clark extended Ely’s lead late on after sprinting through.
- 1 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 10 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony