Matt smashes an Ely club cycling record that has stood for 27 years.
- Credit: Archant
As the cycling season draws to an end, Matt Eley, added another club record to his name while taking part in the VTTA (East Anglia) 30.
Eley beat a club record that had stood among Ely cycling club members for 27 years by finishing in 32nd place in a time of 01:02:48.
His time beat Ely club member Alan Newark’s club record of 01:05:00, which had stood since 1988.
A field of 132 people took part in the event, a 30 mile time trial, which incorporates the Leo 30, which is said to be one of the best histories in 30 mile time trialling.
Also taking part in the event was John Manlow, who finished in a time of 01:09:37.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for cycling website Velo said the new E2/30 course meant: “There were lots of very happy faces around the result board with many national and group VTTA age standard records and personal best’s galore.
“A stunning debut for this new version of the E2/30 course.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
Over the weekend, club member Robert Golding took part in the Barcelona Ironman triathlon of swim, cycle and run.
He finished in 462nd place overall, and 103rd in his category.
The competition started with a 3,800 meter swim, which was finished in 01:09:33, followed by 180km on the bike in 05:01:28.
This time included a five minute penalty, handed over by officials due to blocking.
To finish was a four-lap, 42.2km run which was completed in 04:01:22, which gave a time of 10 hours, 19 minutes and 2 seconds.
This weekend sees the club’s last event, the hill climb, which take place on Primrose Hill, Moulton.
The event is held jointly with Mildenhall CC. First rider off at 10:30am.
Club record-smash rider Eley is director of B&T Motor repairs who will be the sponsor of the cycling club for the next three years.