RIDGEONS LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION Ely City 3 Fakenham Town 0 A ROBBIE Mason thunderbolt capped a fine three days for Ely City. Monday s win over Fakenham swiftly followed a 2-0 victory over Stowmarket. But in the tightest Ridgeons First Division campaign
Ely City 3 Fakenham Town 0
A ROBBIE Mason thunderbolt capped a fine three days for Ely City.
You may also want to watch:
Monday's win over Fakenham swiftly followed a 2-0 victory over Stowmarket.
But in the tightest Ridgeons First Division campaign for years, a single slip up could end Ely's Premier Division dreams.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Church to hold churchyards training day
Ely came out flying on Monday afternoon and Brady Stone almost gave them an early lead when his glancing header from six yards fell just wide after Andy Chatters' deadly delivery from the left wing.
But Stone drilled a shot through a crowded box to fire City into a 38th-minute lead.
Nick Impey was showing some delightful touches, and, after intelligently drawing a defender in, his deft pass put James Reeves through just before the break, but the midfielder blasted over.
Impey headed just wide seven minutes after the re-start following a Stone nod down from a free-kick, and was then denied by Fakenham goalkeeper Steve Lewis when one-on-one.
Chatters made it 2-0 in the 58th minute when he teed himself up for a stunning left-footed volley into the top right corner from 20 yards.
Complacency kicked in for 10 minutes in which an unmarked attacker hit the post with a header from a corner and Catley made a phenomenal save from point blank range when a low cross from the left made it to the back post.
But substitute Mason blasted into the bottom right corner of the net from 12 yards after being put through by a clever Impey back-heel, deep in stoppage time.
# Ely play Gorleston away on Saturday and Godmanchester away on Tuesday.