Mason Secures Slender Win For Ely
A BLISTERING strike from Robbie Mason fired Ely to a 1-0 win over fierce rivals Wisbech on Tuesday. In a fiercely contested derby, there was little to separate the teams until Mason s sublime turn and shot from 12 yards early in the second-half that ultim
A BLISTERING strike from Robbie Mason fired Ely to a 1-0 win over fierce rivals Wisbech on Tuesday.
In a fiercely contested derby, there was little to separate the teams until Mason's sublime turn and shot from 12 yards early in the second-half that ultimately secured the three points for the Robins.
Delighted boss Denis Lightning said: "We have not had any luck against Wisbech over the last few years so to finally get a win under our belts against them was pleasing.
"It was a very physical game but I thought we competed well especially as we had four players who dropped out on the day due to illness and injury.
You may also want to watch:
"The three points have moved us up into a strong mid-table position and if we can secure a top 10 finish come the end of the season it would be very pleasing."
The breakthrough finally came for Ely 10 minutes into the second-half as Mason linked up with strike partner Scott Fielding on the edge of the Wisbech area. After the pair had exchanged passes, Mason worked a yard of space to turn and fire past the keeper from 12 yards.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
The goal sparked an onslaught from Wisbech and they continued to turn the screw for much of the second-half. The visitors might have drawn level from the spot late on but a strong shout for a penalty was waved away by the referee.
The win moves Ely up into 13th place in the Ridgeons Premier League while Wisbech remain in 10th place.