Martin brings home the silverware
MARTIN Brown won his first silverware of the year when he took the honours in Ely and District Cycling Club s 10-mile Handicap Trophy competition last week. His time of 22:20 put him 30 seconds ahead of Andy Stephen while Simon Weatherley and Andrew Wills
MARTIN Brown won his first silverware of the year when he took the honours in Ely and District Cycling Club's 10-mile Handicap Trophy competition last week.
His time of 22:20 put him 30 seconds ahead of Andy Stephen while Simon Weatherley and Andrew Wills finished joint third with 22:58.
In the absence of Steve Presland, Jason Nixon assumed a leading role in the time trial scratch times.
Nixon chased down Geoff Brewster's time of 24.00 and missed out by just three seconds. Tom Syles, Philip Peacock and Colin Whitechurch closed in on the top spot target with 24:19, 24:35 and 24:44 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
New rider Tim Downs was excellent on the wet course from Witchford to Sutton. He made a mark with 26:56 and became one of the many keen cyclists trying out with the club.
Sturdy performances came from Nigel Sawtell and Ben Stephen (30:47 and 31:48) who left the way clear for returning triathlete Carly Wilson to take the honour of 'Lantern Rouge' with 33:23 on the line.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
The next event for the club will be the 25-mile Vets On Standard trophy on the Witchford to Chatteris course on July 4.
Riders should meet around 15 minutes before the official start time of 7.30pm at the Witchford Pavilion, Bedwell Hey Lane, Witchford.
Everyone is welcome to come along and give it a try. There is a 10-mile course option.
For more information visit www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
Handicap Trophy results: 1 Martin Brown 22:20, 2 Andy Stephen 22:30, 3 Andrew Wills 22.58, Simon Weatherley 27.28, 4 Tom Sykes 23.09, 5 John Jermy 23.12, 6 Geoff Brewster 23.15, 7 Nigel Sawtell 23.17, 8 Ben Stephen 23.18, 9 Colin Whitechurch 23.34, 10 Eddie Green 23.43, 11 Celia Whitechurch 24.88
Scratch times: 1 Geoff Brewster 24.00, 2 Jason Nixon 24.03, 3 Tom Sykes 24.19, 4 Phillip Peacock 24.34, 5 Colin Whitechurch 24.44, 6 Martin Brown 25.00, 7 Andy Stephen 25.50, 8 Tim Downs 26.56 (first time trial), 9 Andrew Wills 26.58, 10 Simon Weatherley 27.28, 11 John Jermy 28.42, 12 Eddie Green 30.13, 13 Celia Whitechurch 30.38, 14 Nigel Sawtell 30.47, 15 Ben Stephen 31.48, 16 Carly Wilson 33.23.