Maldon & Tipree 3-0 Soham Town Rangers: sorry Soham fall to first loss in four

Action from Soham Town Rangers' clash with Maldon and Tiptree. Pictures: Paul Simpson

Action from Soham Town Rangers' clash with Maldon and Tiptree. Pictures: Paul Simpson - Credit: Archant

Soham Town Rangers’ four-game unbeaten run came to an abrupt end on Saturday after a 3-0 defeat to Maldon & Tipree.

With Jordan Gent, Ross Paterson and Ben Sawyer all unavailable, the Greens made two changes from the side which had drawn at home to Phoenix Sports last weekend with Salim Relizani returning from Histon to start, along with James McCabe.

Strong winds had an impact on the game, and the weather played its part in the first goal, as Maldon & Tiptree debutant Charlie Edge received the ball outside the area, with his shot deflecting up over George Lawton, leaving the keeper with no chance.

The Greens did have a couple of opportunities to level just after the half hour mark with both Ryan Sharman and George Darling placing straight at Phillips, although it was the hosts that continued to create the attacks as Greenfield headed wide from a corner, with Lawton being called into action again before the break.

The game continued in the same manner after the break, with Lawton making a series of fine saves to keep his side in the game.

Maldon doubled their advantage in the 61st minute when Edge ran onto Phillips’ kick up field, managing to round Lawton and place into an empty net for his second of the game.

Minutes later, the striker was denied his hat-trick by the bar.

Most Read

The hosts added a third and final goal in the 76th minute when they broke from a Soham corner, with Darren McQueen getting between Townshend and Lawton to slot into the bottom corner.

Maldon were in the ascendency and continued to push forward with Lawton remaining resolute in the Soham goal; denying both McQueen and Nwachaky, before Henry drove wide.

Soham had a couple of chances for a consolation goal in the final minutes, but both Swinton and Sharman put wide as the Greens crashed to a first defeat in four games.