Luke lifts the Scratch trophy: local golfer seals glory at Ely City Golf Club Club Championships
- Credit: Archant
Local golfer Luke Ryan produced an assured performance to grab glory for the second time at the Ely City Golf Club Club Championship.
Over 60 golfers went head-to-head at the city club’s base aiming to lift either the Scratch trophy or the Handicap trophy.
In the AM round, Cambridgeshire County player Luke Ryan returned the lowest score of 73 closely followed by 74s from David Hornsey, Ross Wilson and Josh Bailey.
Neil Brosnan also claimed an impressive 74, starting with an opening round eagle two on the 407 yard tenth hole.
With the course set up to its full length, some tricky pin positions and a strengthening wind made for high scores in the afternoon.
Ashley Sizer had the low round of the afternoon with a 75 to add to his morning’s score of 79, but the players who impressed earlier with 74s faded away which left one handicap favourite Luke Ryan to record a steady four over par 76 and win the championships for the second time.
In the Handicap section, the morning’s scores were led by a Nett 66 from Troy Steve with Chris Mitchell, who had reduced his handicap from 17 to 12 before the championship, was just one shot behind.
- 1 Izzy, 16, bids to kickstart female football revolution with new team
- 2 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 3 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Gay tweet pastor claims 'constructive dismissal' as school caretaker
- 6 War veteran, Freddie, marks 100th birthday
- 7 Unearthed treasures to be displayed outside British Museum for first time
- 8 Community group ‘hoping for success’ with opening of new cinema
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Father accused of baby girl's murder had a 'short temper'
In the afternoon, Mitchell took advantage of some high scores to return another low round of Nett 68 to win the Handicap section by two shots from Troy Steve.
Ely City Golf Club co-ordinator, Mark Smith, said the tournament was a real success. He said: “The course was set up superbly for our major championships and offered a real test of golf which ultimately led to our best players coming out on top.”
1: Luke Ryan 73 and 76
2: Ashley Sizer 79 and 73
3: Ross Wilson 74 and 80
1: Chris Mitchell 67 and 68
2: Troy Steve 66 and 71
3: Rob Latham 68 and 70