Luckless Robins lose out at Kirkley

ROBIN’S boss Alan Alsop lamented his side’s luckless streak as they went down 2-1 at promotion chasers Kirkley and Pakefield on Tuesday night.

Alsop said his side dominated large swathes of the match but had little to show for their efforts in another frustrating display.

“We were all disappointed,” said the Robin’s boss. “We had enough chances to win the game but the luck just didn’t go with us again.

“I can’t count the amount of times we had chances in the six yard box and their keeper made some great saves but once again we were just missing that little bit of luck and that has been the story of our season.”

Kirkley took the lead after 15 minutes when Kyle Baker latched on to a long ball and rounded Lee Pacey in the Ely goal.

Ely hit back after a string of corners through Luke Fretwell who netted his first goal in step five football and proved the trigger for Ely to take control of the game.

The visitors fashioned chances-a-plenty in the remainder of the first half and took control again in the second only for a speculative long ball to again catch the defence napping, allowing Baker to nod home.

Most Read

The result follows Ely City’s goalless draw against high-flyers Norwich United on Saturday.

Despite 11 league places and 15 points separating the two sides, it was arguably Ely who should have collected the three points with a number of good chances in what was a gutsy display.

Recent signing Josh Bridgeman continued to impress for Ely and drew an impressive save from visiting keeper Ben Nower early on in the match with a stinging drive and Sam Goodge also saw his effort well gathered midway through the half.

At the other end Lee Pacey had to remain alert to deny Liam Harvey-Cooper’s header as half time approached and he was also called on to deny David Cory’s low shot.

Sam Parkinson’s second half free-kick brought another smart save from Nower in the visitor’s goal but his afternoon was cut short shortly after the hour mark when the referee showed him a red card for brining down Richard Chadwick as he raced through on goal.

Despite lengthy protestations from Norwich defenders, the referee stuck to his decision and Andy Key was brought on to deal with the resulting free-kick, which he saved comfortably.

Despite being a man down, Norwich started to enjoy a fruitful period in play and almost stole ahead through Nathan Clarke whose low shot was turned on to the post by Pacey.

Bridgeman again came close in the closing stages when a shot from range but it wasn’t to be for the Robins who are now five games without a win.