Local football roundup: week ending September 16

ALL the action from across the district

Kershaw Premier League

ELY City Reserves failed to capitalise on last week’s �victories, as they lost 1-0 to seventh-placed Hardwick.

City still occupy sixth place though, and will hope to bounce back next week at home to lowly West Wratting.

Littleport Town claimed a well-won point at high-flying Great Shelford with Carl Ryan’s first of the season, giving Dave Cullum’s side a fine point and consolidating their 10th position in the league.

Kershaw Senior A

SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves were involved in a high-scoring, eight-goal home thriller with Hemingfords United as they shared the goals and the points.

Most Read

Rangers’ substitute Cameron Robb made a massive difference after his introduction as he plundered two goals that added to Kevin Brasher and Ben Fuller’s earlier strikes to ensure that both of these sides shared the points at the end of an entertaining afternoon.

Soham United endured another difficult day as they travelled to third-placed Cherry Hinton and came home with no points and no goals as they were soundly beaten 3-0. This meant that they slumped to their second successive defeat without troubling the scorers.

Division 1B

LITTLEPORT Town Reserves excellent start to the season continued as they comfortably found a way past Cottenham United Reserves, a 2-0 win seeing them rise to third in the table.

Chris Wilson’s first half 20-yard strike gave them the lead at the break and this was doubled by Richie Murfitt in the second half, who majestically chipped in when one-on-one with the goalkeeper. This gave both goalscorers their opening goals of the campaign in a very mature performance.

Division 2B

SUTTON United were the only local winners in this section as they made up for last week’s opening day disappointment with an impressive 2-1 win at Wisbech St Mary’s Reserves. Regular goalscorer Matthew Keys was the hero, as he snatched a double to give his side all three points.

Witchford ’96 suffered their first defeat of the season to free-scoring Godmanchester Rovers Reserves, losing 2-1. Godmanchester were 1-0 up after 20 seconds due to some confusion within the defence but Witchford settled down and had most of the play and should have been at least level by half-time, however, it was not to be. Again, it was Witchford who had the better start to the second half, but a dubious penalty decision enabled Rovers to double their lead. ’96 had all the possession from this point on and it was only a matter of time before Witchford scored.

Boss Martin Skilbeck made a substitution just before a free-kick was taken and with his first touch of the ball, supersub and veteran campaigner, Mark (Billy) Bowers headed home to make it 2-1.

Division 3B

MEPAL Sports registered their first win of the season at early pacesetters, Stretham Hotspurs, as they marched into third place in this section with a 2-1 win.

David Heyes-Fisher and ever-reliable Giles Peacock scored their first goals of the season to hand Sports victory as they continued their unbeaten start to the season.

Fordham started their season off a week later than most of the other local sides, and marked their first outing with a point at Hemingfords United A in a 1-1 draw that sets them up nicely for the rigours that await in the rest of the season.

Little Downham Swifts lost by two goals to one at Estover Park on an unfortunate afternoon for Tony Ure’s troops as they now occupy the bottom position in the league. Peter Evans gave the ailing Swifts hope with his first strike of the season but it was not enough as Park took the spoils.

Division 5C

IN a cracking fixture in this division, Witchford ’96 Reserves were the victors as they won at Burwell Swifts A by the odd goal in nine. Matt Monteith smashed in a hat-trick for Witchford and he was joined on the scoresheet by Pawel Kolasa and Tony Wilson to give their side its first points of the season even though Swifts put up a creditable performance and ran Witchford close all the way to the final whistle.

Prickwillow could not repeat their debut win last week as they went down at home to fellow unbeaten newcomers, The Eagle, by two goals to one. Dan Lane was the man on target for Willow but despite constant pressure they could not find the equaliser with Kev Bedingfield going close four times in the second half but all with no vital end product.

Division 5D

MEPAL Sports Reserves had another great victory to show for their efforts on Saturday as they went to March Rangers Reserves and walloped them4-1.

Each one of Sports’ goalscorers were on target for the second week in succession with Jordan Lee snatching two to add to last week’s one, Scott Verdon chipped in with one to go with his hat-trick last time out and Mark Finbow completed the goalscorers with one to double his account for the season that sees their side at the top of the league for the second week running.