Local football roundup: week ending September 2

LITTLEPORT Town recorded their first win of the season at the fourth time of asking, with a 2-1 victory at early season strugglers Brampton.

Kershaw Premier League

This followed an extraordinary midweek fixture at Chatteris Town where they shared eight goals in an amazing 4-4 draw. The Chatteris match was played on the Tuesday of last week and was a firecracker of a game with goals, red cards and yellow cards aplenty that provided a great advert for competitive football at this level.

Jamie Gayfer claimed a first half double for Port, with Liam Hart and Jason Walker also scoring in a marvellous opening stanza but this was not enough as Chatteris managed to escape with a point after matched the visitors’ goal-scoring exploits. There was a spot of ill-discipline on the night too, as Littleport’s Jamie Palmer saw red which may have helped the Chatteris comeback, and there were also five further yellow cards.

It was a goal-less and pointless week for Ely City Reserves as they went down to last season’s champions Lakenheath by one goal to nil on an evenly matched Wednesday evening and by two goals to zero to Foxton at The Unwin Ground on the Saturday. Ely were undone in midweek by a solitary Heath strike just before half-time and, though City were probably the better side in the second half, they could not unlock the reigning champions’ door to get that vital goal.

The Robins’ Reserves were depleted for the visit of Foxton and had a total of nine players out missing through work, holidays and injuries. Though they fought hard, Foxton proved too strong and scored one goal in each half to run out winners.

Kershaw Senior A

Most Read

IT was an up and down week for both of the Soham sides as United and Rangers Reserves won one and lost one in their two respective matches this week.

United had to endure the midweek slog to early pacesetters in this section, Wisbech St Mary on Wednesday and came back empty handed after going down 1-0 but they made amends for this with a 2-1 victory at home against fellow Wisbech side, Town Reserves.

Goalscorers for United, that secured their second win of the season, were Mark Allen and Craig Neal and this is just the start that manager Andy Parker would have been looking for in Soham’s second season at this level.

Rangers Reserves did the opposite to their neighbours as they were victorious on the Wednesday at home to Castle Camps but suffered a loss at Julius Martin Lane on the following Saturday against Hundon, who recorded their first points of the campaign. Goalscorer supreme, Thomas Christie, saw his season’s goal-getting get underway with a brace as Soham ran out 3-1 winners against Camps and it was Ben Fuller who snatched the other for his first goal of the season on a night littered with yellow cards. They could not make it three wins out of three for the season though, as they lost by the odd goal in three to Hundon on a disappointing Saturday afternoon to leave them neck and neck with Soham United in fifth and sixth place respectively.

Senior B

ELY City A had a disappointing second week of the season as they suffered two home defeats in the space of four days to Outwell Swifts by one goal to nil on the Wednesday, and Saffron Crocus by four goals to one on the Saturday to leave them 12th in the fledgling table. City have just a solitary point to show from their three matches so far this season.

According to boss, Gareth Arter, the midweek clash with Outwell was an atrocious display from his charges that ended in a deserved defeat and the Saturday loss came as a result of a struggle for players leaving square pegs to try to plug round holes and it told as they were comprehensively beaten by Crocus.