Local football roundup: Week ending September 24

All the football action from across the district

Kershaw Premier League

THE two heavyweights in this section locked horns for the first time this season, and it was the men in green who romped away with the victory after an early scare.

The first local derby of the season between Littleport Town and Ely City Reserves was played out on Saturday afternoon, and it was Town who claimed all three points on offer by a slightly flattering 4-1 scoreline. Young Lewis Chambers opened the scoring for the Robins’ second string to keep his impressive scoring run going, but Port wore City down and went in at half-time, 2-1 up.

First half scorers for Town were Jose Montez Monteiro with the equaliser and Matt Parry with a header after fine work from Luke Butcher. Monteiro converted his second and his team’s third from the rebound after his penalty was saved, and Andrew ‘Spud’ Lee rounded the scoring off with his first of the season.

Kershaw Senior A

TABLE toppers Soham Town Rangers Reserves were involved in an eight goal thriller at home to plucky Wisbech Town Reserves with both teams departing with a point.

Most Read

In what was a crazy game, 30th minute Rangers substitute Ryan David, collected a stunning hatrick on a fine afternoon for him. Matthew Pyle was also a scorer for the Greens reserves but they were pegged back by a resilient Wisbech outfit.

Beleaguered bottom club, Fordham, crumbled again to Milton by a 7-0 scoreline that leaves them in deep trouble in this division, having shipped 28 goals already this season in just six league matches.

Early season form team, Soham United returned to action after a one week lay-off that did them no good at all as they went down by the odd goal in three at home to Castle Camps.

Kershaw Senior B

LANGUISHING Ely City A had another unlucky defeat at Cambridge City Reserves, even though they took the lead after 15 minutes when Matt Brodie’s raking crossfield ball found Ritchie Murfitt who nonchalantly half volleyed it into the back of the net.

Cambridge hit back though, just before half-time to make it 1-1 at the break. The Robins’ third team went ahead again just after the interval through a well-worked Jamie Smith goal. Cambridge would not lie down though and hit back with three goals of their own in the last 15 minutes. As with every game they have played this season, though, Ely scarcely deserved the final score of 4-2 to Cambridge.

Creake Shield

LITTLEPORT Town Reserves travelled away for the second successive week in this cup competition, and came away with another victory to continue their excellent start to the season.

They visited Doddington United but were slow out of the blocks and there were no goals to show for either side in the first half. After some slight alterations from boss, Mark Talbot, striker Michael Ward claimed his fourth goal in two games with a delightful chip over the keeper to give Port the lead. New signing Glen Shepherd, then doubled the lead for Town. Never-say-die Doddington, though, pulled one back and Littleport did well to hang on as goalie Jamie Pepper suffered an injury that forced Rob Wilson to take over between the sticks, which he did to great effect as the match ended 2-1 in Port’s favour.

Divison 1B side Haddenham Rovers entertained local rivals Division 2B side, Witchford ’96 in the first round of this trophy and were abruptly shown the exit door by their neighbours to the tune of four goals without reply. Haddenham were comfortably on top of Witchford in the first half but could not convert their numerous chances and ’96 made them pay by nicking a goal through Shaun Eldridge just before the break. The second half was a much more even affair, but crucially Witchford showed the quality in front of goal that Rovers were lacking as former Rovers Aron (2) and Ross Spencer (1) claimed three goals between them.

The Vine continued their poor start to the season with a heavy 6-2 defeat at the hands of Great Shelford Reserves in the Creake Shield. The home side were 2-0 down within the first 20 minutes, both goals coming from set pieces. Jon Cutter pulled a goal back from close range, but the visitors responded quickly with a third. Simon Law and Dan Cowley combined well for the Vine which resulted in a rasping drive from the latter to pull another goal back before half-time, but a strong second-half performance and three goals from Shelford ensured their place in the next round of the cup.

Div 3B

MEPAL Sports continued their superb start to the season by winning 1-0 in their derby match against a spirited Stretham Hotspurs side.

David Fisher struck with 10 minutes left to move Mepal menacingly into third position in the table.

Little Downham Swifts had a real topsy turvy match at home to Bluntisham Rangers Reserves, where super striker Arron Hodson ran amok with a first half hatrick. New signing Jason Cridford from the now defunct Pymoor side of last season, returned to Swifts’ new Pymoor home with a goal to take them into half-time 4-0 up. It all came crashing down though in the second half as Rangers scored at regular intervals to finish the game at four goals each. At least Downham claimed their first point of the season, albeit at the third time of asking.

Lower Junior Challenge Cup

ELY Crusaders challenge in this trophy fell at the first hurdle as did Little Downham Swifts Reserves who went down 1-0 at Whittlesford United Reserves and 3-0 at home to Waterbeach respectively.

Swifts had an awful first half as they conceded three soft early goals, but missed chances were to blame for them not coming back, as the second half remained goalless.

John Ablett Cup

FORDHAM went out in this competition in round one as they were beaten by the odd goal in three at home to a youthful Longstanton Reserves side.

Longstanton opened the scoring but Fordham’s Mark Hacking equalised. Stanton are an exuberant force though, and they caught Fordham completely square to score the winner and consign them to another defeat.

Div 4B

SOHAM United Reserves were involved in another six-goal match for the second week running, as they travelled to Wisbech St Mary A and came out 4-2 victors.

Marcus Locke notched a pair, Shane Sadler and Ben Reed also chipped in with goals for this impressive United outfit, who have started the season with a real flourish.

Wicken Amateurs kept up their 100 per cent losing record as they were humbled at home 13-1 by newly promoted side Bar Hill, on an afternoon to forget for Wicken.

Div 5C

SUTTON United Reserves returned to winning ways with a narrow win over St Ives Rangers Reserves. Michael Dawson was on the mark for United with his fifth goal in two games as Sutton find themselves in an unfamiliar third place in the table.

Div 5D

MEPAL Sports Reserves made it two wins out of three in this new section for them.

The two Finbow’s on show for Sports, Craig (1) and Mark (2) scored three goals between them as they beat Doddington United Reserves 4-2. Chris Lee was also a scorer for Sports as they surged ominously up to second place in the league.