Local football roundup: week ending November 5

All the local football action

Local football round-up

by Gareth Draper

Kershaw Premier League

LITTLEPORT Town had a rollercoaster of an afternoon at Somersham Town as they went 2-0 down early on, only to make a fantastic comeback, take the lead and eventually come away with a point as Somersham drew level at the end.

Daren Pryke’s pair of strikes helped Town back into the game after their nightmare start and Chris Lupson was also on target as they went 3-2 ahead before the cruel late equaliser quashed hopes of a famous victory for Port.

Littleport remain unbeaten after 10 league games and are looking strong in fourth place in the table.

Most Read

Senior A

SOHAM United were three minutes away from three fabulous points as they travelled to league leaders Brampton but had to settle for one, as the home side finally breached the United rearguard with just seconds left.

In a hard fought top-of-the-table clash, both sides battled hard and went in at half-time without troubling the scorers. Soham struck first though in the second half, as Jim Brown converted a penalty to give United a well-deserved lead as they had earlier hit the post and the bar before Brown’s big moment. Brampton would not surrender though, and grabbed the late equaliser to leave the final score, 1-1.

Senior B

STRUGGLING Ely City A came away with nothing from their trip to Comberton United even though the 3-1 scoreline was a little unfair to the Robins’ third string outfit.

City went a goal down early on in the piece, but managed to get back into it with an own goal following a Richie Murfitt free kick. Murfitt should have claimed his second but the home linesman failed to see that his shot, that had hit the bar, had actually crossed the line. Luke Hammett then squandered a one-on-one for Ely which was to prove crucial as United broke away immediately and made it 2-1. City pushed for the leveller but left themselves exposed at the back and Comberton took advantage with another breakaway goal to leave the Robins pointless and facing a battle to stay up this season.

Div 1B

HADDENHAM Rovers had a poor first half at home to Buckden and went into the break 1-0 down.

The second half started more brightly for Rovers but Buckden still managed to score twice more. Haddenham had some success as they won a penalty for handball that was calmly slotted home by, Gary Goodjohn 10 minutes from time. This was not to be the start of a comeback though, and it remained 3-1 to the visitors at the final whistle.

Littleport Town Reserves entertained Somersham Town Reserves and earned a creditable point against a tough Somersham outfit even though it was so nearly more.

Town played well throughout the game and entered the final minute one goal to the good through Andrew “Spud” Lee, but let it slip with an agonising Somersham strike that deflected into the net to make the end result a goal each in this top of the table clash.

Div 2B

THE top match in this section saw Chatteris Town Reserves visit Witchford ’96 in a second versus third confrontation. Witchford had the better of the first and second halves but could not pierce the Town defence as the game ended with neither team getting on the scoresheet.

Sutton United were the big winners this week as they blasted five goals without reply at home to Over Sports Reserves. Ryan Bates was the hattrick hero for United and he also picked up a yellow card for good measure on a memorable afternoon for him. He was joined on the scoring list by Sam Oliver and substitute Mathew Bruce, who also found the net to give Sutton all three points and consolidate their sixth position in the league.

Div 3B

Fordham Reserves produced the shock result of the season as they claimed their first win of the current campaign in a local derby by thumping in-form Stretham Hotspurs, 4-0.

It was a close encounter for the first thirty minutes but then Clive Boucheron capitalised on a great run and cross by Grant Pearson to tap home Fordham’s first. Pearson himself claimed the next goal to take Fordham to the break in the unprecedented position of being 2-0 in the lead.

It got even better in the second half as Pearson and Boucheron broke away to score their second goals and take Fordham to their first victory of the season.

In the other local derby in this section Ely Crusaders and Little Downham Swifts shared four goals at Crusaders’ Paradise home in a tempestuous contest that also saw two red cards shown, one for each side. Wesley Reid and Josh Bailey were on target for the home side with Jamie Dews and Chris Kelly replying for Swifts. Reid blotted his copybook though by getting two yellow cards and his marching orders, much the same as Downham’s Jamie Linney who was sent for an early bath for two bookable offences.

Mepal Sports thought they had travelled back in time as they went to Wimblington Reserves’ tiny school-sized pitch that made any kind of football difficult, as each side struggled to come to terms with the lack of space. Sports raced into the lead though, and were 2-0 up within 15 minutes of the start with Luke Wilson netting both goals.

The first came after Lewis Hall’s long throw was nodded on by Chris Sylvain for Wilson to finish neatly. The second was one of Mepal’s goals of the season as seasoned campaigner, Martin Pettitt, started the move that involved five passes before Wilson finished with aplomb. Wimblington hit back though, after forty minutes to give them hope for the second half.

That hope was nearly rewarded as they won a penalty but unfortunately hammered it against the bar. This settled Sports down and they held out to win the match and stay in fourth place but it was far from schoolboy stuff in the end.

Div 4B

WICKEN Amateurs fine run of form continued as they won their third straight match at home to Chatteris Town A by an impressive 5-2 scoreline.

David Holmes scored in the first half and added a second on 55 minutes after Michael Makanza had notched in-between Holmes’ two efforts. Steven Kesseck and Michael Rola were also on target for the increasingly confident Amateurs.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves did not have such a great day as they went to Cottenham United ‘A’, even though they performed well a Darren Easey goal was not enough to stop Cottenham from defeating them 2-1.

Soham United Reserves made it four league games without a win as their poor run continued with a resounding 7-0 loss at home to Wisbech St Mary A, as they drifted down into tenth place in the league.

Div 5C

WITCHFORD ’96 Reserves had another good afternoon as they won at Barton Mills Reserves 3-0.

Sam Ashman’s super scoring spree this season had two more goals added to it, as he scored his seventh and eighth of the season in only four games as ’96 got to half-time 2-0 up. Chris O’ Connor then made it two goals in two games for himself as Witchford eased to their third straight victory and third position in this section.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves’ season plumbed new depths as they were humiliated 12-0 by an impressive Willingham Wolves team that sit second in the league and look odds on to get promotion this year.