Local football roundup: week ending March 4

ALL the action from across the district

Kershaw Premier League

FORM side Littleport Town, came out on top in the match of the day in this division as they travelled to Great Shelford for the second time in three weeks and came back with an emphatic 5-2 victory.

Kevin Hills was on target with a free-kick in an even first half for Port as they went into the break at 1-1. Town went into overdrive after the interval and went 4-1 up thanks to goals from Michael Ward on the hour, Dave Cornwell and Michael Emms. Shelford pushed for a late comeback and with five minutes to go were awarded a penalty.

Despite Port stopper Leigh Follen saving the first attempt he was strangely stranded on the floor and could not get to the rebound which crossed the line. Town rounded off the win with a breakaway goal from Jose Mendez Monteiro, who skipped past the keeper when one-on-one and slid the ball home to give Port the win.

Kershaw Senior A

A LACKLUSTRE first half display for Soham United put this tie against bottom side Mildenhall Town Reserves in the balance until they came storming through in the second half to defeat Town by five goals to three.

Most Read

United were 1-0 down in a first half that manager, Andy Parker described as, “disastrous” and “trash”. Not long into the second half Town had scored again, but then came the Soham fightback. First Ben Fuller cut inside the box and fired home, then Ben Brown hooked in a cross from Fuller, a marvellous display from sub Will Tyte and his penalty put United in front for the first time, and Ben Brown also scored from the spot to make it 4-2 in a remarkable turnaround.

Town never gave up though, and scored a penalty of their own to give United the jitters. A terrific goal from Soham’s Dan Symonds settled the match however, and sees his side begin to pull away from the drop zone.

Senior B

THIRD from bottom Swavesey Institute hosted bottom side Ely City A on Saturday and were beaten 3-2 by the joyous Robins third string.

Both teams swapped early goals as Institute netted from fully 30 yards and Rob Parker scored a great 25-yard free-kick with almost his first touch after coming on for Ely for Ant Brumby.

Swavesey then took the lead again before City’s Adam Gayfer levelled the scores with his third strike of the season. Ely finally edged their noses in front when Sam Goodge drilled home from outside the box and, even though there was nervous late defending, the Robins held on to lift themselves off the bottom of the league in a division that has six teams in the basement separated by just two points.

Division 1B

A DEPLETED Haddenham Rovers side went down 3-1 in a poor performance at Hemingfords United Reserves which was further saddening as they lost goalie Ryan Overton to a nasty injury in the second half.

Rovers were a goal down after 10 minutes of play which was doubled by United by half-time. A good low finish five minutes into the second half saw Martin Frohock claim his first goal of the season.

The injury to the stricken Overton followed and Hemingfords struck again to round of a miserable afternoon for Haddenham.

Division 2B

LONG time league leaders, Witchford ’96, drew for only the second time this season as they had to hastily re-arrange their home fixture with Manea United and play at Stetham Hotspurs’ ground due to the poor state of their pitch.

Manager Graham Eldridge said afterwards that the game, “had not gone to plan” and that his side would “need to get their form back” in order to gain the promotion.

Witchford began well but went 1-0 down to a free-kick against the run of play. ‘96’s Greg Saberton then played in Ross Spencer with a good pass to equalise the match.

It was the evergreen Saberton that used all his experience to follow up on a goalkeeping howler, to give his side the lead with a tap-in on the stroke of half-time.

United struck straight back though and went in to the break at two goals each.

In a second half of countless chances for Witchford they could only muster another equaliser via Josh Ashman following another error by their own man between the sticks to finish the game at 3-3.

There was a dramatic relegation battle between fellow 2B strugglers The Vine and Milton Reserves. Firstly, Vine captain David Martin swung in a delightful cross from the left wing which Jon Cutter neatly controlled and finished past the advancing Milton keeper.

The Vine’s failure to clear their lines resulted in Milton grabbing an equaliser minutes later.

Martin was again involved in the Vines’ second goal with a near post flick on, in which brother Dean Martin finished with a looping header to put the home side in front for a second time.

Just minutes before half-time Milton again broke and scored to even the score.

In a fiery second half both sides came close to grabbing the winner, but the final score remained 2-2.

Tempers flared as the tackles flew in, ending with three red cards (two to The Vine and one Milton) after an ugly off-the-ball incident involving both teams.

Burwell Swifts were too good at home for mid-table Sutton United, and swooped past them by a 4-2 margin. Matthew Keys, who added to his burgeoning goal tally with two more strikes, was the major plus point for United.

Division 3B

LITTLE Downham Swifts’ great form continued with a super 2-1 win at Tydd United.

In a match played in boggy conditions it stayed goalless until half-time.

Tydd then took the lead early in the second half but a combination of good defending and excellent midfield play from Downham’s Jamie Linney, Lee Fuller, Dan Bell and Darren Lawrence added to two more strikes from the prolific Scott Dews, meant that Swifts ran out victors.

The mid-table clash between Bluntisham Rangers Reserves and Stretham Hotspurs ended in an emphatic 5-2 home victory for Rangers.

Div 5C

ISLEHAM United Reserves handed out another drubbing for hapless Little Downham Swifts Reserves as they were dispatched 9-0 on another bad afternoon for the Swifts.

Div 5D

MEPAL Sports Reserves drew at similarly positioned Wimblington A and had Mark Finbow’s 72nd minute strike and seventh goal of the season to thank for their point as they drew 1-1.