Local football roundup: week ending April 8

ALL the action from across the district

Kershaw Premier League

YOUNGSTER George Cummins showed his new team-mates at Ely City Reserves what he can do with a four-goal blast at Cottenham United to help City to a 6-0 win.

Cummins started the rout after six minutes but the score stayed at just 1-0 until half-time thanks to keeper Liam Bull who made some fine saves. Straight after the break Dean Salmons made it two before Cummins claimed his second and Will Ludbrooke netted his first in three games for the Reserves.

It was then back to former Newmarket under 18 prot�g� Cummins to put away two more that saw Ely cruise to a vital win at the lower reaches of the table.

Littleport Town’s second defeat in two weeks has surely put paid to their championship hopes as they followed up last week’s loss to old foes Great Shelford, with a 3-0 reverse at Over Sports.

Kershaw Senior A

Most Read

THERE were differing fortunes for the Soham sides in this section even though both games ended 3-2.

Unfortunately it was Soham United who were on the wrong end of their home match with second placed Brampton.

In a rollercoaster of a game United started badly but claimed the lead in the first 10 minutes through Adam Clements after which they dominated proceedings. Mark Allen then hit a great chance straight at the keeper that led to him launching down field for his forwards to reign in on United Keeper Gavin Wiseman’s goal – he brilliantly saved the first effort but could not deny the next as Brampton equalised.

Clements should have scored three minutes after the break but instead the visitors notched to make it 2-1 totally against the run of play. Sub Luke Schunmann scored for United following his recent transfer from neighbours Rangers with just three minutes to go and the same man had a dubious offside goal denied before Brampton turned the tables again, breaking away to score the winner.

Rangers Reserves gave their faint promotion hopes another boost with their 3-2 win at mid-table Sawston United, and they could have done with neighbours United getting something from rivals Brampton but it wasn’t be.

Kershaw Senior B

ELY City A’s third successive defeat might cause a few anxious flutters for manager Garath Arter but should have enough points to see some safe after they lost 2-1 to second placed Wisbech St Mary.

City again had depleted resources and their bare 11 went down after 20 minutes but didn’t let their heads drop and were able to equalise through Richie Murfitt 10 minutes into the second half.

Ely battled away valiantly and were only beaten with the last kick of the game to leave them with what would have been a well-earned point.

Division 1B

LITTLEPORT Town Reserves endured an unwelcome home defeat to fellow promotion candidates, St Ives Rangers by a disappointing two goals to nothing.

Division 2B

WITCHFORD ’96 could not build on their morale boosting win against local opposition, Sutton United, as they drew 0-0 at March Rangers. Neither side managed to get the ball in the net, or looked likely to as their players spurned numerous chances to make the vital breakthrough.

Sutton United, conversely, bounced back from their derby defeat to claim a 4-2 victory at mid-table side, Over Sports.

The Vine put up a determined fight against third placed Doddington United, but suffered another 1-0 defeat. Vine keeper Jamie Cranwell put in a man of the match performance for the visitors with some superb goal keeping to keep the score to 1-0, but despite dominating much of the game the breakthrough never came for The Vine, who desperately need points to avoid the drop.

Division 3B

MEPAL Sports underlined their promotion credentials as they travelled to another fellow potential top of the table foe, Tydd United and came away with a fantastic 2-1 victory.

This came after their shock loss at home to lowly Hemingfords United A.

Ely Crusaders went down heavily again as they were soundly beaten 5-1 by another promotion rival in this incredibly close league, Estover Park, leaving them second from bottom at a precarious time in the season.

Continuing this theme Fordham remain in trouble at the bottom as they entertained yet another promotion chaser and fell short by four goals to two to third-placed Bluntisham Rangers Reserves. They were 2-0 down after 20 minutes but hit back just before the half through Mark Oliver’s fifth of the season. Just after half-time though, Rangers struck again before Oliver was taken out in the box and Johnny Blecher netted the spot kick.

Fordham then dominated chasing the equaliser but were thwarted again as a long range Rangers’ shot struck both posts before creeping in to leave the final score 4-2 to Bluntisham.

Stretham Hotspurs consolidated their seventh position in the league with a convincing 3-1 home win against bottom side, Fenstanton Reserves. Phil Harle kept his phenomenal strike rate with two more efforts to make it 15 goals in 10 games for Hotspurs and Richard Gray also scored to keep his healthy games to goal tally going which now stands at nine in 10.

Division 4B

WICKEN Amateurs played Milton A for the second time in two weeks, this time on their own turf, and managed to avenge the 1-1 draw that took place with a thumping 7-1 victory, to keep their dreams of going up just about alive.

Matt Sore was again the hero with his second hat-trick in recent weeks, and Simon Murfitt doubled his goal account for the season with a brace. Michael Makanza again scored and Leon Kirk nabbed his second of the season in the last minute of the game.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves also had fine afternoon against relegation rivals Cottenham United A as they ran out by a convincing 5-1 winning margin.

Soham United Reserves were the only local losers in this section as they were just edged out 3-2 on their visit to similarly placed in the league, Murrow Bell.

Division 5C

THERE was not so much sunshine in the games in this section as both Witchford ’96 Reserves and Sutton United Reserves were beaten at home by two of the top three sides in this league, Willingham Wolves and Girton United A respectively.

United went down 5-1 with James Manwaring claiming his first of the season and Witchford were closed out 3-0 by the Wolves.

Division 5D

MEPAL Sports Reserves went to high flying March Rangers Reserves and were narrowly beaten 2-1.

Jordan Lee found the net for Sports and also picked up a yellow card but second-placed March were too strong in the end and managed to squeeze through to take all three points.