Local Football Roundup

LOCAL football round-up Percy Oldham Memorial Cup SOHAM United ran out 3-2 winners in this cup semi-final that had the added spice of being a local derby. The final score-line was perhaps a little kind to Haddenham as Soham dominated the first-half and

LOCAL football round-up

Percy Oldham Memorial Cup

SOHAM United ran out 3-2 winners in this cup semi-final that had the added spice of being a local derby.

The final score-line was perhaps a little kind to Haddenham as Soham dominated the first-half and went in at the break two goals to the good when it could have been more.

Dan Symonds struck a brilliant goal after being played in by Liam Eley to put United in front and Brett Fuller started and finished a great move involving Shaun Hogg to give them their deserved half-time lead.

Will Ludbrooke grabbed one back from close range after 60 minutes to put the game in the balance, but this was immediately quashed by Soham two minutes later as Eley scored on the turn to give Soham back their two goal cushion. Rovers showed more spirit as they forced another goal in from inside the area through John Lee but it was all too late. Soham go through to meet Linton Granta in the final on May 5 at Histon.

Most Read

Kershaw Premier League

LITTLEPORT Town handed out a second thrashing in a week to relegation candidates Needingworth United Reserves as they cruised to a 9-2 victory.

Luke Butcher was the hattrick hero for Port whilst Sean Monigatti and David Cornwell both helped themselves to doubles for the in-form side. Daren Pryke and David Cullum Jnr completed the rout as Littleport notched up their fourteenth and fifteenth goals in a week against a hapless United side.

Ely City Reserves also had a positive result at home to Great Shelford as they stormed to a two goal half-time lead through a rare Gary Dewsbury strike and Paul Skinner added the second. Shelford clawed one back but their threatened comeback never materialised and The Robins' Second string gained the three points with a 2-1 victory.

Fordham's tough season continued as they succumbed to a strong third placed Lakenheath side6-1. They found themselves 3-0 down at half-time and even though John Flack scored a fine goal for Fordham to keep his recent scoring form going it was in vain as Lakenheath punished them three more times in the second-half.

Senior A

SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves suffered a 4-1 defeat to Milton despite a satisfactory performance for most of the match.

Milton took the lead but Soham's Will Seymore struck back for his young side after good work from Dan Sterna. Unfortunately, the turning point came straight from the re-start as Milton strode through to take the lead again and added two more to twist the knife into this enthusiastic Rangers outfit.

Senior B

ELY City 'A' lost 3-1 to West Wratting Reserves in midweek and then repeated the dose at home to Outwell Swifts on Saturday to prolong their disastrous run of seven straight defeats.

The game against West Wratting was a stormy affair with nine players receiving yellow cards between the two teams with Jamie Gayfer the lone scorer for the Robins' third team.

Div 1B

AFTER a six-star performance last week, Littleport Town Reserves were hit for six themselves as they lost 6-1 to an impressive Longstanton side.

Ironically it was Port who started the brighter as they hit the crossbar and went a goal up through top scorer Scott Dews. This was short-lived though, as the runaway Division 1B leaders Lakenheath, grabbed three goals to go in at half-time 3-1 in the lead.

The second-half was no better as Port shipped three more on a disappointing afternoon for them.

Bottom club Sutton United were struck a double blow as Michael Greasley was shown the red card for deliberately handling the ball on the line and visitors Somersham took advantage by scoring with the subsequent penalty.

The 10-men rallied though, as Sam Oliver equalised to give them hope only for Somersham to score the winner with just two minutes remaining to give them the 2-1 victory.

Div 2B

WITCHFORD '96 scored a valuable 2-0 win at bottom club Needingworth United Reserves to drag themselves away from the relegation zone.

Josh Ashman notched the first with a low left foot effort and a rare Richard Martin header completed the scoring in this vital victory for Witchford.

Pymoor earned a hard-fought home draw with a poor Barton Mills side that moved 2-0 in front before Pymoor's slumbering stars finally woke up to claim a 2-2 draw. Jason Cridford and Greg Saberton were the Pymoor marksmen as they claimed a valuable point in their relegation struggle.

The Vine consolidated their third place with a home walkover as visitors Godmanchester Rovers Reserves failed to raise a team.

Div 3B

IT was a, game of two halves in the lower half of the table clash at Fordham between their Reserves and Mepal Sports but Mepal ran out the winners in the section's only local derby.

The only goal came from Chris Sylvain in the opening forays, who made no mistake as he smashed the ball in after a Darren Murfitt shot was cleared to him from the goal line.

Fordham improved in the second-half but it was to be Mepal's day as they earned three crucial points.

Ely Crusaders moved ominously into third place in the league with a great 2-1 win at Exning Athletic.

Scott Fretwell rifled home the winner in the 80th minute after Exning had leveled Wes Reid's opener for Crusaders. They now embark upon a crucial run of games as they seek promotion from this extremely tight League.

Stretham Hotspurs found it tough at home to Brampton Reserves as they surprisingly lost by two goals without reply. A win would have catapulted them up to fifth but it was not to be.

Div 4B

LOCAL teams Wicken Amateurs and Haddenham Rovers Reserves played out an entertaining game as home side Wicken ran out deserved 4-2 winners.

Michael Makanza opened the scoring to make it 1-0 to Wicken but this was pegged back by Ally Gilbert to make it 1-1 at half-time.

Amateurs had much the better of the second-half and made that count as Graham Hickmott, John Hobbs and Makanza with his second led them to victory with Gilbert's second the only reply from plucky Haddenham.

Soham United Reserves' impressive run continued to gather pace as they had a scare at home to Milton 'A' but eventually came through 3-2.

Alec Barnfather was instrumental in the first two goals for Soham as he was involved in the move to set up Shane Sadler to score the first with a peach of a finish, and his through ball to Ben Reed ended with a cool chip and a two goal half time lead.

Milton quickly dragged themselves back though and a questionable penalty helped them draw level at two each. Rob Aveston had other ideas about who should have the points, though, and his raking cross was deflected in by a Milton player to win the game.

Div 5C

MEPAL Sports Reserves won a feisty match with Waterbeach 'A' 7-0.

Fantastic five-goal hero Mark Finbow led the way and Chris Axford also weighed in with a two goals in two minutes at the end in a great victory for Mepal that was only tarnished by five bookings in the match.

Sutton United Reserves and Witchford '96 Reserves suffered losses home and away to Elsworth Sports Reserves and Bar Hill Sports and Social respectively. Sutton lost by two goals without reply to extend their winless season and Witchford battled hard against the section's outstanding team but could not find an answer to their three goals.