Local Football Roundup

Local football round-up Kershaw Premier League RELEGATION threatened side, Need ingworth United, entertained two of the local clubs in quick succession in a week where they were hammered 6-0 by Littleport on the Saturday after having lost their tense mi

Local football round-up

Kershaw Premier League

RELEGATION threatened side, Need ingworth United, entertained two of the local clubs in quick succession in a week where they were hammered 6-0 by Littleport on the Saturday after having lost their tense midweek bottom of the table clash 3-1 to Fordham.

Great credit for Fordham's much first win of the season must go to manager Colin Sheldrick and their loyal band of players who have struggled this season but never wavered from trying their hardest for the club.

You may also want to watch:

Dan Langley opened the scoring against Needingworth and soon Mark Mepham set up Johnny Flack to head Fordham into a 2-0 lead at half-time. This was soon 3-0 with Flack netting his second only for the hosts to grab one back at the end. Three days later Flack was the villain as his missed penalty proved crucial in Fordham's creditable 3-1 home loss to high-flying Great Shelford.

Shelford went 1-0 ahead but Nathan Feetham equalised after more good work from Mepham. The unfortunate penalty miss from Flack spurred Shelford on when they should have been 2-1 down and proceeded to add two further strikes before the end.

Most Read

Senior A

SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves' youthful outfit found it hard away to a tough Sawston side as they found themselves 1-0 down at half-time.

A good move ended with Thomas Crawford finishing well to give them hope before Sawston upped the ante and struck twice more to claim victory.

Div 1B

LITTLEPORT Town Reserves matched their senior colleagues by scoring six at home to Bottisham Sports. Scott Dews scored a fine hatrick and was ably abetted by Carl Ryan, Nathan Bennett and Darren Lawrence who each claimed goals to cap a splendid Port performance.

In a top versus bottom encounter, Sutton United were overwhelmed by classy Longstanton 3-0 to extend their losing streak to seven games.

Div 2B

THE Vine continued their fine run of form with a 7-2 thumping of bottom of the league Needingworth United Reserves.

Youngster Daniel Butcher scored twice from close range in the first half, and Ben Hatton made it 3-0 with an unstoppable thirty yard effort. Despite dominating the match, a couple of defensive errors allowed Needingworth back into the game and at 3-2 the visitors pushed for the equalizer. However, goals from Kinder Mann (2), Dan Cowley and Jon Cutter sealed the victory by seven goals to two for The Vine, which keeps them third in the league.

Pymoor's desperate run continued as they crashed to another heavy defeat away to Wisbech St Mary Reserves. Pymoor have gone five gamed without victory.

Div 3B

John Bartlett was the star of this Section and possibly of the whole day as his quintet of strikes rocketed mercurial outfit Little Downham Swifts up to fifth in the League as they crushed Wisbech St Mary 'A'. by six goals to nil. Everything Bartlett touched went in and even a sparkling run and finish from Arron Hodson could not outshine his fantastic five efforts.

Ely Crusaders also had a goal fest at home to Estover Park as they scored a magnificent seven goals without reply to shoot themselves up to fourth in this very tight League. Scott Fretwell claimed a super hatrick even though he may have scored ten on another day, Ali Msabaha notched twice, Gav Allen and Josh Bailey completed the scoring for the promotion chasing Crusaders outfit.

Fordham Reserves were one nil up through a James Seymour 20-yarder away to Hemingfords United 'A' when injury disaster struck for the second time in four matches and an ambulance had to be called to take away United's stricken goalkeeper. Hemingford could not face continuing after the horrific injury and the game had to be abandoned much to Fordham's chagrin.

Stretham Hotspurs performed admirably away to leaders Earith United by scoring four times through Sam Ashman, Gary Caleless, David Pitt and sub Michael Beeby. Unfortunately they conceded six as Earith's dominant form continued.

Div 4B

Soham United Resesrves' fabulous run of form was prolonged to six games unbeaten as they overcame a plucky Wicken side by four goals to one in this hard-fought local derby contest. The Amateurs took a shock lead to go into the Half Time break one nil up. This galvanized Soham into action and two minutes into the Second Half, Craig Allen crossed for Ben Reed to equalize. Three minutes later they took the lead as Jonathan "Do Do" Brown struck a cracker from 25 yards out and it was "Do Do" at the double as Brown tapped in to make it three one. The icing on the cake was provided by Reed as he completed his personal brace with a close-range finish for an ecstatic United outfit.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter