Local football round up: week ending October 1

All the action from across the district

Local football round up

By Gareth Draper

Kershaw Senior A

ELY City A’s six game winless streak came to end at last as they ran out 3-2 winners in an exciting encounter with West Wratting Reserves.

It started badly though, as they went 1-0 down but hit back through Ant Brolia, who hit his first goal of the season after good team play gave him the chance to score. Next, a super cross field ball found Matt Brodie, who couldn’t fail to slot home to give City the lead. Sloppy defending let Wratting in for the equaliser but it was that man, Brolia who settled matters with a 30-yard screamer to give him his second goal and three well-needed points for his team.

New boys to this division, Soham United, impressed again as they won the local derby 3-1 against struggling Fordham.

Most Read

Scott Fretwell, Daniel Symonds and Will Tyte were on target for United and even though Fordham were 1-1 at one point due to a Danny Potter goal, they were powerless to stop the Soham United juggernaught winning out in the end.

Kershaw Senior B

Kershaw Premier League

THERE were contrasting fortunes for both the local sides as Littleport Town continued on their menacing unbeaten run so far this season with two impressive wins but early season pacesetters Ely City Reserves suffered two more sorry defeats.

First up for Town on the Wednesday was Foxton at home, and they fought their way through to a victory with Jose Mendez Monteiro notching again. An own goal from the opposition, though, ultimately gifted Port the points by two goals to one. Littleport also picked up five yellow cards in the heat of the battle but it was worth it as they were victorious again. Town travelled to West Wratting on the Saturday and again won out by the odd goal in five to secure a thrilling 3-2 win. Recent signing from Little Downham, Jon Bartlett, who offers both pace and guile, scored his first for the club and Michael Emms claimed the other two as Port climbed up to sixth position in the table

Near neighbours, Ely City Reserves, had a polar opposite week as they went down twice in four days to Great Shelford at home on the Wednesday and at home again to Over Sports on the Saturday. The season is starting to turn sour for City as after they began with two wins, but since then they have only won once in seven attempts including six defeats. Shelford proved too strong for The Robins Reserves as they went 2-0 up at half-time. Grant Robbins pulled one back for a below par City but two more, silly goals were conceded and Shelford left Ely with a 4-1 win and three valuable points. Over visited on Saturday and City showed much better form even though they again found themselves 2-0 down at half-time. The Robins dominated play though, and even though a third was conceded they hit back with a Sam Goodge penalty and the same player gave City half a chance of grabbing a point with fifteen minutes remaining. Ely had an effort disallowed and a shot against the crossbar in injury time but could not get the vital equaliser as they went down 3-2.

Div 1B

LITTLEPORT Town Reserves gained three points without needing to expend any energy as March Town United Reserves failed to raise a side.

Junior Challenge Cup

HADDENHAM Rovers’ challenge for this trophy fell at the first hurdle, as they went down at home to Cambridge University Press Reserves by three goals to one. Grant Spencer was the Rover on target but there was no coming back as Haddenham’s miserable start to the season continued.

Little Downham Swifts could not progress any further in this competition either as they went down 5-2 against a fine Manea United side. Man in form, Arron Hodson claimed his fifth goal of the season for Swifts and the returning Jamie Linney, who has journeyed around the local sides before coming back to Downham, scored too, but this was not enough as United sailed through.

Sutton were the third out of three local sides to exit the cup at this stage as they were well beaten 6-0 by Hardwick Reserves. Sutton kept trying though, and David Gipp tried a little too hard as he was shown two yellow cards for two offences that amounted to a red as United were reduced to ten men and eventually shown the exit door by Hardwick.

Div 2B

THE Vine picked up their first point of the season with a well-earned draw against Over Sports Reserves. Despite twice falling behind, The Vine showed fantastic spirit to take something from the game, and but for some outstanding goalkeeping could have taken all three points. Jon Cutter scored from close range after Dan Mitchell and Jamie Ritchie linked up well down the right wing to even the scores just before half-time. In an end-to-end second-half the home side took the lead but once again The Vine responded well, as Dean Martin popped up with a powerful header at the back post from a Jon Cutter cross. Both sides came close to stealing the winner, as they both struck the woodwork, but the final score remained two goals apiece.

Witchford ‘96’s made it four wins out of four this season as they dispatched Godmanchester Rovers Reserves by three goals to one at home. Tom Parrish struck twice and Ross Spencer once as 96’s inexorable rise up the table contiuned after a storming start to the season.

Div 3B

MEPAL Sports’ stock also continued to rise as they eked out a home win in a seven goal thriller against Fenstanton Reserves. Tom Dytor led the way for Sports with a fine hattrick and David Fisher was the other Mepal man on the scoresheet as they edged past a never-say-die Fenstanton side.

Ely Crusaders gained a well-earned point at Exning United and had Liam Purton’s goal to thank for keeping their unbeaten start to the season intact. Crusaders now occupy a menacing fourth position with a game in hand on their rivals.

Stretham Hotspurs recorded a memorable away result as they romped to 4-2 win over Brampton Reserves, who are always stronger on their own pitch. Not on this occasion though, as Hotspurs proved too strong for them.

Fordham Reserves’ 100% losing record was preserved as they ventured out to Wimblington Reserves but even though they performed better than in recent weeks they still lost 2-1. Fordham were caught square in the first half to go one down but came back bravely as Johnny Blecher equalised from close range in the second half after some good inter-passing from his teammates. No points could be rescued though, as they let in the winner with 15 minutes remaining, and are still to register a point this season even though there was some encouragement during this outing.

Div 4B

WICKEN Amateurs shrugged off their early season form to snatch a great 4-2 win at Burwell Reserves.

Graham Hickmott after 20 minutes set them on their way and James Seymour got the second after 34 minutes. Michael Makanza grabbed a double in the second half that Burwell could not match as Amateurs picked up their first points of the season.

Soham United Reserves endured their third draw this season as they drew 1-1 against West Row Gunners Reserves. Marcus Locke was on target for United for the third time in two games for a content Soham side that must try to convert their one point into three if they are to progress from this section.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves continued to struggle as they went down 2-1 at Wisbech St Mary A. Darren Easey scored for Rovers but they remain bottom of the table with three losses out of three.

Div 5C

WITCHFORD ’96 Reserves went down 4-0 against a strong Waterbeach A outfit, who remain unbeaten this season.

Reg Haigh and Arthur Peck Cup

SUTTON United Reserves substitute Justin Phillips must be the most frustrated player of the week as he came on and scored a sensational hattrick for United, but this was not enough to save his team who went down 4-3 on the day to Walsoken United after being 3-2 up, to crash out of this competition at the first stage.

Mepal Sports Reserves held out at Doddington United Reserves until half-time, but three goals in the second half saw United progress to the next round of this cup 3-0.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves’ woes continued as they were humiliated 12-1 by Elsworth Sports Reserves. Gareth Draper scored for Swifts to make it 2-1 at one point but a combination of set pieces and Rory Delap-like long throws could not be dealt with by Downham and Sports took advantage spectacularly.