Local Football Round-up

LOCAL football round up Kershaw Premier MARK Mepham was the four-goal hero as Fordham gave all but relegated Needingworth United a 6-0 hammering in a bottom of the table clash that gives them real hope for retaining their place in the Premier League nex

LOCAL football round up

Kershaw Premier

MARK Mepham was the four-goal hero as Fordham gave all but relegated Needingworth United a 6-0 hammering in a bottom of the table clash that gives them real hope for retaining their place in the Premier League next season.

Mepham netted three times before half-time, including one penalty, as Fordham showed true spirit and nerve to gain the vital victory that they so badly needed. Hakim Latim got them off to a flier with a goal after three minutes before Mepham took over to make it 4-0 at the interval. Saud AlJahdali struck the fifth before Mepham scored again to round off a memorable personal afternoon and a jubilant one for his team.

Sean Monigatti grabbed the only goal for Littleport Town in their midweek fixture against a strong Great Shelford outfit as they ran out 1-0 winners. This victory was soured a little by their toils on Saturday though, as they went down by the same single goal to a Waterbeach side that has struggled this season.

Second-placed Fulbourn Institute easily beat Ely City Reserves 3-0 at home, as the Robins Reserves struggled against the league hopefuls.

Most Read

Senior B

SOHAM United out-gunned local rivals Haddenham Rovers for the second time in a month as they won through 7-0.

Jonathan Brown set United on their way with a deflected free kick and Dan Symonds' excellent individual run and cross panicked a Haddenham defender into putting the ball into the back of his own net to make it 2-0 at the break. Brown then added his second before Jason Parker bagged a brace (one being a penalty after Symonds was up-ended in the box).

A fine chip from sub Ben Brown resulted in another goal before Symonds himself made it seven to really rub salt into Rovers' wounds.

Div 1B

LITTLEPORT Town Reserves suffered an inexplicable 5-2 home defeat to Hemingford United Reserves having been 2-1 up with fifteen minutes to go.

It all started well for a much-changed Port line-up due to first team call-ups and injury as Nathan Bennett put them 1-0 up in the first-half. This was equalised by United as a lovely through ball by player-boss Mark Talbot put Scott Dews through to score and make it 2-1. Town had a hatful of chances to increase their lead but failed to convert them. Frustratingly, with fifteen minutes left and with Port suffering with more injuries, Hemingford took advantage of the hosts' profligacy in front of goal and ran away with it with four unanswered strikes.

Div 2B

WITCHFORD '96 won a tight battle against a valiant Needingworth United Reserves side that has still to register a point this season, but still made a great fist of it against a below par Witchford outfit.

Dale Hoey scored the first for '96 following a good passing move, but United kept the ball well for the rest of the half and also had their goalkeeper to thank for keeping them in the game as Witchford failed to capitalise on their superb start. This was compounded when a clumsy Witchford challenge resulted in a penalty to Needingworth, which was duly dispatched to put them on level terms at half time. The second half was a low key affair and the game seemed to be meandering to a draw before another dramatic penalty award, this time to Witchford, resulted in leading scorer, Michael Ward coolly netting the winner from the spot.

Former Ely City and Mildenhall Town striker Steve Tuck scored a consolation goal for Pymoor as they slumped to a surprising 2-1 home defeat to second bottom of the table Godmanchester Rovers Reserves to end Pymoor's four-game unbeaten mini revival.

Div 3B

ELY Crusaders kept the heat on their fellow promotion chasers as they romped to a 5-0 win at Fordham Reserves.

They raced to a three-goal lead inside 15 minutes as Luke Schunmann, Ali Msabaha and James Collins all scored. It stayed that way until half time when sub Ross Elliott notched with his first touch after coming on to make it four, before Josh Bailey made it five after great wing play by Ben Stone on a comprehensive afternoon for Crusaders.

Isleham United moved into fifth with a 1-0 home victory against lowly Exning Athletic and this took them above Little Downham Swifts who capitulated at home to neighbours Stretham Hotspurs 3-1.

James South was Downham's goalscorer with a bundled effort after a strong challenge with the keeper. The win took Stretham level on points with Swifts but they have played two games more in this ever-changing section.

Mepal Sports chalked up another win at home to Estover Park by the same 3-1 scoreline to move them into what seems like mid-table security for this season.

Giles Peacock snatched the opener for Sports which was doubled by Luke Wilson to make it 2-0 at the break even though it could have been half a dozen with all the opportunities they created and spurned. Mepal's Tom Dytor finally found the net and made it 3-0 on 70 minutes, before Estover managed to score with 15 minutes remaining to put the home side on edge, but they held on for a well-deserved victory.

Div 4B

SOHAM United Reserves had to utilise three different goalkeepers as they drew a close home game against the ever-physical West Row Gunners side 1-1.

As early as the first minute, the first Soham keeper had to be replaced as West Row's striker challenged him hard. Bobby Fenn took over the gloves and kept excellently well to keep the Gunners at bay. United's Steve Dalby then battled through midfield and slotted in Thomas Porter to score from close range to take them in at half time 1-0 to the good. Due to the late kick off though, Fenn had to depart at this juncture and was replaced by another outfield player, Shaun Allen, who had only just donned the mittens when he brought down a Gunners player in his penalty area two minutes into the second half.

The penalty was scored by West Row and the rest of the match was evenly contested as it ended all square and Soham's promotion push continued.

Wicken Amateurs recorded an impressive 3-1 win at Gransden Chequers as top scorer Michael Makenza scored two goals in the space of five minutes in the first half. Graham Hickmott made the game safe as well as the points with a goal after 60 minutes to move Wicken even further away from relegation trouble.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves were locked at 1-1 at home to Cambridge Community Church at half time before it all fell apart and they ended up getting beaten 5-2 in a lax second half display.

Div 5C

SUTTON United Reserves finally won at home for the first time this season as they defeated a strangely subdued Witchford '96 Reserves team 4-2.

Sutton scored twice in the first five minutes but Witchford's Chris O'Connor with a scrappy tap-in, and Ali MacDonald with a 30-yard screamer levelled the scores up to make it two each at half time. Sutton came out fighting though and added two more in the second half to record their memorable maiden home three points. Matthew Lewin with a brace, Mark Foster and Daniel Cox were the overjoyed United scorers.

Form-side Little Downham Reserves romped to their fourth successive win at Waterbeach 'A' after going a goal down early on to a speculative lob that was misjudged by the Swifts goalie. Paul Bone's run and cross down the right led to a Waterbeach centre back planting a pin-point header past his own keeper to level matters as a competitive first half drew to a close on level terms.

Swifts came out on fire though, as Bone capitalised on the Beach goalie's lack of knowledge of the back pass rule to slide the ball into an empty net after Clive Metcalfe took the resulting free kick quickly. Metcalfe himself nodded in at the far post to make it 3-1 and midfield metronome Dan Hines continued his fine scoring run with another to give wily manager, Brian Halliwell, another win in this remarkable turnaround in fortunes.

Isleham United Reserves came unstuck at Longstanton Reserves as they were soundly beaten by three goals without reply.

Mepal Sports Reserves had a boost to their promotion prospects without even playing, as they took all three points due to Swavesey Institute Reserves not being able to field a team.