Local Football Round-up

LOCAL football round-up Div 3B THE local derby between Ely Crusaders and Fordham looked to be going all Fordham s way as they sped to a two goal lead against a Crusaders side reduced to 10-men. A stunning individual effort from Rob Leigh provided Fordha

LOCAL football round-up

Div 3B

THE local derby between Ely Crusaders and Fordham looked to be going all Fordham's way as they sped to a two goal lead against a Crusaders side reduced to 10-men.

A stunning individual effort from Rob Leigh provided Fordham's first goal and when Jamie Peacock put Phil Sheppard in for the second it looked like three more points for the Division's form side. 10-man Crusaders had other ideas though, and grabbed one back through a Wayne Bell header from a corner and then dramatically equalised three minutes into injury time this time courtesy of a Gav Allen headed effort. Paul Roberts was again outstanding in goal for Fordham.

Kershaw Premier League

LITTLEPORT Town played out a very competitive midweek 1-1 draw at home to Lakenheath which ended with them only having ten men on the pitch following Luke Butcher's sending off.

Most Read

Six more yellow cards littered a fierce match that started well for Port with a goal in the first minute from David Cornwell. Lakenheath battled back to snatch an equaliser and took a hard-earned point away with them.

Ely Reserves were also involved in biting encounter as six were shown yellow cards in a feisty last-minute loss to Whittlesford United.

The Robins Reserves played their best football for sometime in a tough away clash with the second placed outfit, and looked to have earned a deserved point when Matt Keys squared-up the Whittlesford opener after sixty minutes. All the good work was undone though, as Whittlesford struck late on to grab all three points.

Fordham suffered another beating at home to a Lakenheath side showing no ill effects from their midweek trip to Littleport. Fordham took a shock lead through new striker Mark Mephan with a well-taken goal. This galvanised Lakenheath into action as they responded tremendously with a nap hand of goals to win 5-1 even though 18 year-old Quinton Young was excellent in goal for Fordham.

Senior B

HADDENHAM Rovers stormed in front at bottom club Bluntisham Rangers via Tom Parish who finished a fine move involving Phil Harle.

They sealed the win with a fine one-on-one finish from top scorer, Will Ludbrooke, to come away 2-0 victors.

Soham United's fine run of form continued as they also strode away from Cottenham United Reserves' ground with a 2-0 victory that sees their promotion charge gather pace. They took the lead through a Dan Symonds header following Steve Dalby's run and cross 10 minutes before half-time. An innocuous-looking but tough challenge from Brett Fuller resulted in an unfortunate leg injury for a Cottenham player and the mass melee that ensued forced the referee into issuing a red card to Fuller. The 10 men remained undaunted though, and substitute Sam Cooper sealed the win after 87 minutes with a fine effort to give Soham the win.

Div 2B

THE Vine continued their fantastic run of form with a convincing 3-0 victory over Wisbech St Mary's Reserves. Kinder Mann scored the first and a James Smith brace sealed the three points. The victory sees The Vine move up to third in the league, as they continue their push for promotion. A solid defensive performance from Adam Novak, David Martin, Wez Hilditch, Ben Hatton and Dan Mitchell ensured a clean sheet for the visitors.

Out of form Pymoor and bottom club Needingworth United Reserves played out a 0-0 stalemate where the only notable act was a yellow card for Pymoor's John Harvey on a grim afternoon.

Witchford '96 deservedly lost at home to Over Sports Reserves 3-1 on a day when centre half Robbie Scarrow, showed his misfiring forwards how to do it by scoring their only goal from a corner. This was not enough though, as Witchford's profligacy in front of goal was punished by three Over goals. Performance of the match, surprisingly, came from referee Eli Karram who was outstanding throughout.

Div 3B

MEPAL Sports wreaked more havoc this week at Exning where they demolished the home side 7-1.

Guy Habbin opened the scoring with a fine header and was ably supported by Giles Peacock and Lewis Hall who plundered two goals each. Chris Sylvain notched as well but to top it off substitute goalkeeper-cum-striker, Scott Verdon, netted to complete the rout for Sports.

Stretham Hotspurs walloped Wisbech St Mary 'A' 5-0 in a stunning performance away from home. There were two goals apiece for Sam Ashman and Jamie Thompson with Ben Page completing the scoring for Hotspurs on a great return to form for them.

Little Downham Swifts surprisingly went down at home to Estover Park by three goals to two in a torrid affair at School Lane, where Swifts' James South and Jack Butler were on target.

South, though, blotted his copybook by getting involved in a tussle with an opponent that led to both of them seeing red. Estover took advantage of the lack of numbers by putting three goals past Swifts to complete a shock victory in this section.

Div 4B

SOHAM United Reserves toppled the leaders again as they defeated Emneth Spartans 2-1 in another terrific team performance at home.

Seventeen-year-old starlet Chris Allen, scored a 16-yard cracker from a Jamie Palmer corner after 33 minutes but they were pegged back at 1-1 at half-time. Ten minutes from time though, Ben Brown made a great run and it was left to Ben Reed to score the winner for an elated Soham outfit.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves were left not so jubilant as they went down to new leaders Tydd United 6-2 at home even though they competed very well with a ruthless side. Ally Gilbert and Ricardo Mayer were the resilient Rovers' scorers.

Div 5C

IN this section's local derby of the day, Mepal Sports Reserves came back from a goal down to Sutton United Reserves to hand out another defeat to the bottom club by two goals to one. Ashley Dougan was the Mepal hero at the double as he netted in the 76th and 86th minutes to stun the unlucky Sutton outfit.

Witchford '96 Reserves earned a superb 3-3 draw at third placed Girton United 'A' which could have been even better on another day.

Matt Monteith and Chris O' Connor with a screamer from 25 yards put them 1-0 and then 2-1 ahead in this thrilling game. Girton then went 3-2 in front before Dave Fleming's back post header clinched a creditable point for Witchford.

Clive Metcalfe marked his debut for Little Downham Reserves with a goal and an assist as the infuriatingly long wait for their first win of the season is now over thanks to a narrow but enthralling 3-2 victory at Isleham United Reserves.

Metcalfe opened the scoring for Swifts with a follow up after Paul Bone forced a good save from the Isleham keeper. He then repaid the favour as he set Bone up to finish expertly straight after Isleham had leveled through a suspect penalty.

Isleham equalised immediately after half-time only for Bone to cross for Gareth Draper to volley the winner into the net for a nervy but ecstatic Swifts side. Never say die skipper Nick Marsh, and centre-half rock, Ian Jenkins, were inspirational throughout for Swifts.